PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
... the time of year when the Dark Fired crop here in west Ky is being harvested and cured. The smell of hickory smoke from the tobacco barn fires lingers in the air everywhere you go. Should be a lot of good leaf coming out of the barns this year. We had a great growing season. Plenty of rain through the summer (but not too much), and not too many storms. The fields near my house and along my route to work have looked really healthy. Hopefully the farmers will turn a good profit and we will all get to enjoy some especially great leaf from this year's crop.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can't speak to anything from the harvest end of things, but the family and I did a day trip out to Long Point Beach in Ontario and passed several tobacco farms. I had never seen it grown before, the place the were larger than I thought. With impeding legalization of marijuana, my wife thought they would all be switching crops soon enough.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A few years ago I did some research on the sustainability of the Cuban cigar industry and came across an article on hardwoods used to cure pipe tobacco, the author's point that there wasn't enough hardwood left to continue the method. I didn't keep researching the point, nor do I know nearly enough to say on my own if true or false.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
any chance do you have a pic of a big crop field?
The fields near my house have all been cut. If any of the ones on my route to work are still standing this week I'll try to pull over and snap a picture for ya.
came across an article on hardwoods used to cure pipe tobacco, the author's point that there wasn't enough hardwood left to continue the method
Here in west Ky (where almost all true DFK comes from) the curing fires are made of sawdust which is a mix of hickory and sometimes oak, covered in slabs of hickory. To the extent of my knowledge, we aren't in any danger of running out of oak or hickory anytime soon.
I have no idea about any other areas or any other types of tobacco, though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
To the extent of my knowledge, we aren't in any danger of running out of oak or hickory anytime soon.
Plenty of hickory and oak in Central KY as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.