That Pipe’s Just Not Suitable, I'll Take XYZ…

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob (See Rule 9)

Just following another post and thought it might be worth a topic of its own so as not to take that thread off topic

It might just be me but do you make decisions on which pipe to use based on where you are going/what you will be doing and dare I say for aesthetic value?
And are some of your pipes more suited/unsuited than others to different environments & lastly which features do you consider?

I.e (for me)
  • for smoking in the car I typically use a pocket briar pipe, its small and lightweight so its suited to driving in traffic, whereas a churchwarden or heavy pipe might not be
  • If I was going to a bar-be-que with the guys then I’m not taking a delicate pipe (amber stem meer!) I want something a bit more robust like one of my ebony’s that can take a bit of a beating if it needs to
  • I pop down to an outdoor bar so I like to take a straight free standing pipe that I can put on the table rather than something I’d need a hook for if I needed both hands free
  • Going round the golf course I don’t take my Aldo pipe because it has a high gloss finish and I know it would get scratched in the golf cart so I’ll choose rusticated
What got me onto this topic was I already actively think about these kind of things all the time when I go somewhere so for me certain pipes are better suited to certain environments and after seeing a particular pipe it got me thinking about the colour of pipes and whether that feature might also have a bearing on where I’d smoke it, given that most of the above examples might be described as practical whereas colour might not fall into that category

Thoughts? What do you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
You I to have thought of this but came to my own opinion that a pipe should be like a man on his woman’s side. No woman would have a man that couldn’t compliment her character. So why would have a pipe to compromise our character. In consideration of color I think it would be a little metro say if you got a belt and shoes that matched your pipe. But I definitely see where you are coming from with the different pipes for different venues. I wouldn’t take a MM to a wedding all dressed in a tux. Maybe a shotgun wedding though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I certainly choose the pipe based on day, weather, activity, level of formality, etc.

If it’s really windy I won’t take a pipe outside that’s not sandblasted or rusticated, because it’s much more likely the rim might get darkened.

though sometimes I do just go with whatever pipe I want.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe I’m even a little vain in that for certain occasion/functions I would choose a pipe that better suits what I’m wearing… actually that’s wrong, I’d reject a particular pipe that doesn’t suit what I’m wearing cray
I don't see a thing wrong with that line of thinking. That's part of what makes smoking a pipe enjoyable for you. Run with it!?

Reactions: Lyle b and jpmcwjr

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I once was in a 5-day hike through forests and mountains, smoking a single churchwarden vigorously. Had no other (working) pipe at that time. And it was just fine :)

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, unless I am going to a formal event of some sort where I have need to “dress up”, in which case I would take a very clean, nicely “shiny bowled” pipe that matches the color scheme (usually black or brown).... other than those rare occasions (like a wedding or some such thing)..... the pipe I pick in a given day stays with me.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Since my pipes are dedicated to genres of tobacco, I choose one based on what I'm planning on smoking. I have nice ones and beaters for each tobacco type. Also, some are just too large to smoke on the go, as it were. For example, I have a Ben Wade freehand/pickaxe that has a chamber probably twice as big as any other pipe I own. That's easily a 90 minute+ commitment, and it weighs a fair amount even before loading it up. For the car, it's either a MM or a small ThePipe bulldog.

Reactions: Sitka and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe is so rarely a social activity that I barely think about the visual or social impression. In the old days when smoking was totally social -- in the smoking car on the train, in the smoking area of hotels and restaurants -- the social affect was a logical consideration. Since my wife is my only audience, and only in passing, and she bought me many of my pipes as gifts, she's the arbiter as much as anyone other than me. I'm pretty one-track, so I don't smoke driving, and walking, I really don't care who sees me or what they think, except that they don't harass me about the pipe or anything else. So the visual impression I make is largely imaginary, thinking how the Opera pipe would look actually going to the opera, or how it would be fun to smoke a cob at a wedding reception in a suit and tie, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Car: Usually a bent.
Golf: Try to avoid the more delicate ones.
Formal event: A black blast, if I remember to make a choice.
Home: Anything, but the good clinchers get bypassed as they're better for walking.

Reactions: UncleRasta

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Been there, done that.

For me, a pipe isn't an accessory, it's just a tool. Whichever tobacco and pipe I choose for a given day is what goes out and about with me.
I smoke cobs, not here to beat that horse, but as to the appearance or 'accessorizing" aspect...
I can't really smoke in public much at all anyway. 99% of my bowls are normally smoked on the back porch, and when I smoke "out and about" I usually have to slink off somewhere anyway.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only time I think about what pipes I'm taking to an event is when I'm going to the WCPS or on a trip and won't have access to my pile. Otherwise the pipe I pick is what works well for the tobacco I want to smoke. As for how a pipe works as a fashion accessory, I really don't care.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Only a few social occasions have coincided with a pipe. For a party with a bonfire out back in the winter, I took along a La Rocca poker. For a wedding, I stepped outside and had a cob in a cream colored linen suit, somewhat Mark Twain. Not much planning attended either choice. It was grab and run.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.