PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've got an uncle that was always a favorite, dying in a nursing home tonight.
My post is to just to say "Thanks Uncle- you made every Christmas GREAT"
He was a Cigar smoker, and one of the best dudes ever..........
My brother and I were just (very) poor kids,and when we went to Uncle Larry's, we had a grand time, I'll never forget it..........
Not to ramble but Uncle Larry............ you're the best, and I Love You............ puffy

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I've got an uncle that was always a favorite, dying in a nursing home tonight.
My post is to just to say "Thanks Uncle- you made every Christmas GREAT"
He was a Cigar smoker, and one of the best dudes ever..........
My brother and I were just (very) poor kids,and when we went to Uncle Larry's, we had a grand time, I'll never forget it..........
Not to ramble but Uncle Larry............ you're the best, and I Love You............ puffy
strikes a chord - mine went too prematurely - he smoked the finest cigars and was a good but troubled and misunderstood individual - think of him a whole lot and miss him immensely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None of my uncles took me under their wing, per se. It was more the grandparents, and two in particular that did that. However, my uncles were role models and examples and I felt a real attachment if not a close friendship with any of them. My aunts were more engaging. I could do thumb nails on each of these, but that's not the subject of the thread. A toast to Uncle Larry who even with this little information I can tell was a most special person.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is tough. I had an uncle when I was younger that broke all the rules. He never held “a real job”, but he was the hardest working person I ever knew.

I lived with one summer when I was 13. He had a garbage truck route. So here I am at the age 13 hanging off the back of a garbage truck and then throwing trash in the scoop. He also taught me how to drive the garbage truck from the rear deck using the controls back there.

We’d go shooting and because I was working like “an adult” I could have an ice cold Coors beer with lunch and dinner.

My favorite uncle died many years ago when the car he was driving, after a long day of picking apples, was hit by a train. I think if that guy all the time.

When I first read your post last night it haunted me. It brought back a rush of memories.

That’s what you hold on to. Those older memories. Not the bullshit going on right now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We weren't close, but his son and I were and are, but one of my uncles, my dad's brother, was especially colorful. He owned one of the first Corvettes, and a series of Triumph and MG roadsters, and a magnificent Oldsmobile convertible that he later said was his favorite, jet black with red leather upholstery. For a time, he lived on a lagoon off Lake Erie near Cleveland, then moved to a riverside place near Ft. Myers, Fla., were he had horses and worked for a time as skipper of a river cruise boat, not day tours but multi-day trips. In World War II, he was a landing craft officer at the first U.S. amphibious landing on Tarawa in the mid-Pacific. It was a learning curve and very bloody as people learned or died. When I visited his son between finishing grad school and getting a job, he expressed concern that I might distract his kid from his work and family life. No veteran camaraderie there. But he rebuilt his tractor engine in his 80's, and his ashes went back to the river on which he lived, and when I heard he'd died, I went to a bench outside my work place and had what was a good cry for me, not being much of a crier.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am sorry for your impending loss. I had an Uncle Dennis, well I called him Uncle but he wasn't a blood relative since he was a friend of my Father from his army days. I would imagine he has probably passed on by now since he would have to be 100+. He had lived in Canada and worked as a lumber jack after WW2 before returning to the U.K in the late 1950s. He used to belong to the same gun club as my Father, reload his own ammunition and all sorts of crazy stuff including winning the Bisley Cup two years in a row for rifle marksmanship. I remember he always smoked small cigars that came in a tin. One day he said he was going hunting overseas and no one ever saw him again. I just think he got fed up with home life and decided to have one last adventure. Hell of guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.