PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I had good results fixing a similar issue with this method provided straight from the Olympus of pipe repair:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Could be technique but I don’t think so since this hasn’t happened to any other pipes I’ve got. Even my other Volkan pipe.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
It could be soft briar, but hat looks more like a gouged cake layer. Easy to fix.

Take a strip of sandpaper and wrap it around your finger and run that sandpaper covered finger around the inside of the bowl -to smooth out the cake. Your hands will be filthy from the powdered carbon, so do it over a sink or over a sheet of newspaper.

I usually then coat the bowl with honey and then pack the pipe with tobacco. Smoke the pipe the next day, and lightly wipe the bowl interior with a paper towel when the pipe is cool. Some tobacco might/will cling to the wall of the bowl. Load and smoke the pipe as usual, wiping the bowl walls with a paper towel each time, after smoking. Cake will build up very gradually if at all. Too much cake?....sandpaper away the extra carbon buildup, if necessary.

I've been smoking for years and have rarely gouged or chipped away the cake that builds up in my pipes.

Sandpaper, works.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It could be soft briar, but hat looks more like a gouged cake layer. Easy to fix.

Take a strip of sandpaper and wrap it around your finger and run that sandpaper covered finger around the inside of the bowl -to smooth out the cake. Your hands will be filthy from the powdered carbon, so do it over a sink or over a sheet of newspaper.

I usually then coat the bowl with honey and then pack the pipe with tobacco. Smoke the pipe the next day, and lightly wipe the bowl interior with a paper towel when the pipe is cool. Some tobacco might/will cling to the wall of the bowl. Load and smoke the pipe as usual, wiping the bowl walls with a paper towel each time, after smoking. Cake will build up very gradually if at all. Too much cake?....sandpaper away the extra carbon buildup, if necessary.

I've been smoking for years and have rarely gouged or chipped away the cake that builds up in my pipes.

Sandpaper, works.
It’s burnt char into the wall. That smooth part you see above the burnout is the wood of the chamber wall.

I know what you’re saying... and have had that happen. But this is certainly not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.