PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sometimes you dont realize how good you have it until you don't have it anymore.

I recently joined a guitar forum so I could stop pestering @scloyd about guitars and notes, and I found a pretty active one. There are lots of members and everyone seems pretty good. The rub is that the forum is run on vbulletin which is completely different than here.

Its harder to enter posts, post pictures, and there are a bunch of features on here that the other forum just doesn't have.

I'm sure I will get used to it the more I post there, but the way this forum is laid is just so much more user friendly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It still takes longer for me than the old format but now I can browse multiple sites and forums while waiting for this one to load.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Here’s my observation on the new format, while it is easier and much more user friendly, the new format is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it is so easy to use on every platform and in every way (in my experience); a curse, because the floodgates have now been opened and some new members are bring with them bad habits they’ve acquired from being on other social media sites. I enjoyed coming to this site (post upgrade) because the community seemed small, mostly agreeable and tightly knitted...but now the trolls are pouring in. You can have a post (your post) shut down at a moments notice because some troll knows the rules and knows he can do it. In short, post upgrade, this site felt like visiting Alaska...now, it feels like visiting the Southern border in 2016.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You can have a post (your post) shut down at a moments notice because some troll knows the rules and knows he can do it

I haven't seen a big difference in the numbers of threads that get locked and black holed. For the most part the number of new members have added to this community and to the discussions. I'm sure if the redesign had been to vbulletin or some other format we would just become an echo chamber of the same members saying the same thing.

Reactions: BROBS

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I can browse multiple sites and forums while waiting for this one to load."

This speaks volumes for those who are unable to make sense of the new format

Granted, on the whole it's a massive improvement but otherwise needs to be looked into by those that have the capability to so do.

Regards,

Jay

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here’s my observation on the new format, while it is easier and much more user friendly, the new format is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it is so easy to use on every platform and in every way (in my experience); a curse, because the floodgates have now been opened and some new members are bring with them bad habits they’ve acquired from being on other social media sites. I enjoyed coming to this site (post upgrade) because the community seemed small, mostly agreeable and tightly knitted...but now the trolls are pouring in. You can have a post (your post) shut down at a moments notice because some troll knows the rules and knows he can do it. In short, post upgrade, this site felt like visiting Alaska...now, it feels like visiting the Southern border in 2016.
you think there are problems here that makes me think you must have a rich life and don't spend much time online. :) No one has thrown me any death threats (it's weird how quickly you get used to random threats of murder,, very weird) over here. And in most internet places I would have gotten at least three for liking Erinmore Flake so much.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
so there was no one here before besides crickets? and now there is lively dual-sided discussion?

Reactions: gamzultovah

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The true test of success is whether or not the OS change increased traffic, and whether or not the change is good in the long term for the continued health of the site. Site traffic pays the bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.