PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have been going through my stash of Briar Fox very quickly these days. It's a tobacco that I can smoke all day, and I get a nice nic hit after about two bowls. You know, the glassy eyed giggly type. Well I went and ordered a 1 lb brick in hopes of keeping up with my smoking rate.
It arrived today, and before I could even rip open the vacuum sealed package, I could see white fuzzy mold. This is the second time I got a bad batch of Briar Fox. Jeremy from Cornell & Diehl made good the first time, was very helpful, and quickly sent me a brand new 8 oz tin, so I emailed him again today, with pictures like last time.
He responded within an hour, offering me any of the blends they have that come in 1 lb blocks, and again I asked for Briar Fox. This time he is sending me a return label, so that they can research the issue further. I'm hoping that this will help in the future, simply because it's one of my favorites.
The tobacco didn't come directly from them, or I assume this would have been caught. Who it came from is irrelevant at this time, I'm just glad it's being taken care of.
This kind of customer service is what we need more of these days, and I will be a lifetime buyer from them. I'm not at all upset that I got another bad batch, I am glad that they are so quick to make the problem better. I know they got the mold issue taken care of, and I figure that this bag was just old, from those bad batches they had.
Thank you Jeremy, and everyone at Cornell & Diehl

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For the most part it seems like they’ve gotten their mold problem under control, I think it’s just a natural thing that will happen from time to time when you are dealing with an organic product. I just bought some tangerines two days ago and they are all covered in mold, sunuva! Anyway, C&D has always taken care of their customers. I only had a mold problem once with them a couple years back and they shipped me out more tobacco within a couple of days. Stellar service in my opinion.
However, I bet you never did have a problem with moldy Carter Hall have you? Probably tells ya that CH ain’t an organic product... :rofl:

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not going to mention Black Frigate, or how sad I would be if I found mold in my Black Frigate, which I'm not going to mention.....
Sorry to hear about the mold. Good job C&D for taking care of the issue. :clap:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I love C&D's products, so I am very pleased to learn they are committed to the outstanding customer service you described; in addition to the outstanding products they deliver.
Thinking on it now, I have never had anything but top-rate customer service with any tabak order from the good people at either P&C or SP; as well as from Sutliff and Nat Sherman, NYC. I especially need to point to the absolutely wonderful folks at Brigham Pipes on their amazing customer service as well.
If only the rest of the world simply did the right thing... like all these fine folks do for us. - Sherm Natman

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If it has mold, while it may have no been visible while at C&D, it probably originated from there and grew as it sit on the distributors shelf. As hawky pointed out, mold is going to be inevitable with an organic product produced in relatively high volumes. Mold is EVERYWHERE, it's just looking for a nice home to grow on/in.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes that's one thing I like about their product. All natural. Real tobacco. Another reason I have shyed away from Carter Hall... Lol

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
C&D had a problem with one of its excellent Small Batch Virginias a couple of years ago. I opened one tin and it was fuzzy. Didn't open the others, but just sent them back. No questions asked. Got fresh tins by return mail. Good folks there at C&D, as well as SP.com.
Oh, and I'm glad Anthony didn't mention the (you-know-who) vessel.
Ahoy, mates!

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Bijou is another one they have had mold issues with. I had two tins from the 2018 batch that were moldy. I just make sure I open the tins and jar. Won’t stop mold growth but I can see it as soon as it starts. I’d hate to wait 5 years hoping for an nicely aged product only to open it and find mold.

Good on them, great folks, great tobaccos.

I found mold on some new Tupperware containers in my kitchen. They were used just once, but some leftovers had molded in them. She tossed the moldy food and scrubbed and washed the containers. They had been in the cabinet for maybe a month. I had no idea that plastic could get mold, but I noticed a white fuzzy film on the plastic, and it had that funky moldy tobacco smell. So if plastic can mold, maybe Carter Hall can too. They are made of about the same thing, ammiright?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a huge fan of C&D -- tins and bulk. About a dozen blends are special favorites. If I could only order from one place, it'd be C&D. They do magic with burley in blends and as single leaf. Oddly, Briar Fox is the one blend that I didn't like; it was just too mild, or at least the sample I smoked was. But it is popular, so perhaps I had an especially mild plug.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo didi - I too am a C&D fan, and of course the other brands they produce (GLP, Drucquer's, Two Friends, Castello) also have representatives in the Top300 Cellar. What batch number was your defunct Briar Fox?
hp

les

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The 1 lb had nothing on it, but the 8 oz looked like this
IMG-20190129-074347.jpg

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I had a jar of Opening Night develop mold recently. I reached out to SmokingPipes to let them know about it. I wanted them to know the tin date and when I had ordered it(which wasnt long after I cracked the tin), for quality control. I told them that more than likely it was me who let the mold in but I thought that maybe they should have the info. They insisted they replace it and make good on their product.

Didimauw did you give up the Carter Hall?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lately, I honestly don't even think about Carter Hall anymore. I don't wanna say I've given it up, but I have definitely moved up from it. The last time I smoked it after weeks of other blends, I could definitely taste whatever they put In it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bijou is another one they have had mold issues with. I had two tins from the 2018 batch that were moldy.
Wow, that new? I thought they got that cleared up back in 2016. Had to send back ten tins then myself.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I have no idea how old this lb I bought was. I'm mostly irritated by the company that sent it to me. I mean, it was a clear package...it took me under ten seconds to see it was moldy.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Makes me wonder if my tin of Briar fox I purchased last year in May has mold. Who knows, it's stashed in a box in the basement of my house some 6,600miles away from where I am at! Perhaps I'll open it up next year when I move back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.