PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I saw a guy putting multiple pipes in his mouth yesterday pre purchase at a b&m. I was grossed out, I don’t think that’s something you should do.

What are your thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's understood you can't put a pipe on your mouth or in your mouth before you purchase it. In my opinion, the man bought every pipe he put his lips on. On that score, you have to go by brand and reputation and hope for the best.

franbo

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
When I started smoking pipes in the 80’s, I was encouraged to draw from the pipes before I purchased by the B&M pipe shops that dotted Boston. As a matter of fact, we would look into a mirror as well to see what style of pipe “fit our face” ... Times, and hygiene, have changed. You used to be able to try on various styles of fedoras and caps too, I’m not grossed out.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
When I was in college we shared pipes and home rolled cigs, often with strangers, at parties.......... 'Twas a different kind of tobacco though......... 8)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Normal behavior. Draw testing and pipe cleaner testing are part of the game. If you're going to pay hundreds of dollars for a pipe, you need to know what you're paying for. I would always take sanitizing wipes to the B&M when I would be going for a new pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm kind of split on this one. I see both sides. I'm mortified by the idea of someone putting their mouth on a pipe, because after working in the food industry for many years, every part of me screams Ohmygodgross!!! But then I can understand wanting to check the draw or the stem feel of a pipe before spending quite a bit of money on a pipe. If there was some sort of disposable stem covers a B&M could use for such instances it wouldn't fix the problem 100% but might at least help.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
npod had a solution:
m2BB71l.jpg

as well as Leslie Nielsen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFC0O393DQ

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If you don't own it, don't do it. Once you purchase it...put it anywhere you want.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
never even thought about it. not very sanitary. but i'm sure most germs will die within few min. lot of germs can't live very long outside of dark, warm, moist area.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not a germophobe, but with any new factory pipe I flush it out before the first smoke. Don't want to draw in dust, shavings, whatever from the factory environment. Estates get a fuller treatment.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Personally, I can’t imagine putting a pipe in my mouth before buying it. If I later found there was a draw issue, I’d expect the retailer to take back the pipe. Also, the retailer would be expected to sanitize such an unsmoked pipe that was returned.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There's a reason why I always sanitize a new pipe before using it.

Ditto, even the ones I buy online. Heck, when buying from SPC I would go for the Fresh category only, don't wanna end up with a returned pipe.
Gross indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.