PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It seems that almost every time I'm on the forum I encounter an abbreviation of some kind that I don't understand. I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem. It would be nice if the "Terminology" thread could be added to and updated somehow. Any ideas? puffy

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It seems that almost every time I'm on the forum I encounter an abbreviation of some kind that I don't understand. I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem. It would be nice if the "Terminology" thread could be added to and updated somehow. Any ideas? puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion people who constantly use abbreviations are just too lazy to type things clearly so that old bastards like me have a clue as to what they are saying. I trained my 4 kids that if they are going to text me, use the English language as it was meant to be used. I am not picky about tenses as I suck at those but when I say I am smoking a certain blend, I always spell it out. For example if I am smoking Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, I don't say F&T CVP. That does no good for new smokers or for old guys like me. I believe it is a show of respect when the real names are properly used.

I believe a thread that has nothing but popular abbreviations is a bad idea and I am totally against it. We are better than that.

Aug 20, 2022
In my opinion people who constantly use abbreviations are just too lazy to type things clearly so that old bastards like me have a clue as to what they are saying. I trained my 4 kids that if they are going to text me, use the English language as it was meant to be used. I am not picky about tenses as I suck at those but when I say I am smoking a certain blend, I always spell it out. For example if I am smoking Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, I don't say F&T CVP. That does no good for new smokers or for old guys like me. I believe it is a show of respect when the real names are properly used.

I believe a thread that has nothing but popular abbreviations is a bad idea and I am totally against it. We are better than that.
Yes. And now I'm off to smoke some Gregory Latakia Pease tobaccos.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I remember a while back on another forum, I noticed the use of acronyms by one participant, and I suggested to him that he was employed somewhere in .gov ...he was surprised that it was that obvious.

I am lazy, I have no problem using acronyms, as long as no one else does...:col:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't mind abbreviations either, most of the ones I encounter are well known, seldom do I need to look one up.

BTW I'd abbreviate Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug as "CVP." rotf

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Like spelling cigar without the a?🤔
lol, when I first signed up to AOL, cigrmaster was the only one available. Cigarmaster was already gone. When I was in the cigar game my handle was The Master and i was known by thousands ad thousands of people.
When I signed up for pipe sites before this one cigrmaster was available so I took it. Is that explanation sufficient for you Embers slut. lol

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I don't really care one way or the other. Generally a quick Google answers any questions I have. An F&T CVP Google search returns the tobacco review page for Cut Virginia Plug as the first result for example. In my line of work (not government BTW) abbreviations are everywhere and I use them to keep my correspondence concise and easy to read. For my hobbies, like I said, either way works for me.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Threads on this topic always deteriorate into asshole-ery. Be kind to the newbs and the forgetful and try to act like adults. When members use too many acronyms I just ignore their posts.

Reactions: jpmcwjr