Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hello all,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide some input.

I’m looking at making the move to aluminum or steel pipe tenons on my pipe. I was wondering what a guy would use for an epoxy that’ll stick to both. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Are these repairs, or an out and out replacement of good tenons?

Photos, please!
Are these repairs, or an out and out replacement of good tenons?

Photos, please!
This will be replacing the rough tenons of acrylic pipe stems that need to be shaped, bent and polished for my pipe projects but also for some wooden stem pipe projects as well (inserting and epoxyed into the wood stem).

The goal behind this is to ensure a perfectly shaped tenon every time and easy to install on my projects. I had looked at Delrin as an option but I still have to hollow the material out and had read on the manufactor’s website that Delrin is toxic. So I figured I’d go the metal route and get a good epoxy as once cured epoxy’s are non toxic.

I guess I’m tryig to have my cake and eat it too.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
How is Delrin toxic? I mean, I don't eat delrin, and I don't eat epoxy either. Aluminum is also toxic if you eat it. You better make your tenons out of banana skin.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Delrin is an industry standard because it's such perfect tenon material, self-lubricating, perfectly round, cheap, produced to within .001" of nominal, it's great stuff. There's absolutely no reason to solve this equation again with other materials except to be different (some of the Russians are using magnets instead of a tenon proper, for example, on totally weird shapes which would not be tenon-able). But delrin's the right answer here if you are talking about "normal" pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Delrin is an industry standard because it's such perfect tenon material, self-lubricating, perfectly round, cheap, produced to within .001" of nominal, it's great stuff. There's absolutely no reason to solve this equation again with other materials except to be different (some of the Russians are using magnets instead of a tenon proper, for example, on totally weird shapes which would not be tenon-able). But delrin's the right answer here if you are talking about "normal" pipes.
Thank you for all the info, it is appreciated.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I am by no means trying to reinvent the wheel, nor do I have the desire to. I got the idea of a metal based tenon from my late father’s pipe and have found the material local and cheap. I just figured it would be a straight forward fix to my lop sided tenons :) Clearly the epoxy has given me a bit of a challenge. Delrin is doable, just a little tougher to source and will require a bit more work as it will be raw requiring drilling and such. If it is the best option I have no issue going this route. Just looking for a straight forward fix that will give the pipes that professional look. The pre made tenons are nice but just not cost effective for me, and I guess I kinda like the challenge of fashioning my own :)

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here are the meer repair tenons.

s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.