Tell us about the old American-produced Plug pipe tobaccos!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
At a certain well known vintage tobacco web site I once saw a lot of what looked like American produced Plug pipe tobaccos. Garry Owen? Walnut? WOW! They looked cool! Anyway, I wanted to ask the expierenced pipers; what were the U.S. produced pipe Plugs? What were they like? Were there ever any U.S. produced ropes? And, if anyone knows, why are the Brits the only ones still in the plug/rope business when none of the e-tailers can keep those tobaccos in stock?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I can't honestly remember any American made plugs. The 2 you mention are produced in the UK, or at least were.

The Brits invented them and are the best at them. I started smoking a pipe in 1970 so if there were American plugs/ropes it was way before my time.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Look Out cut plug made by JG Dills of the famed Dills pipe cleaner brand . Hard rock miners would chew tobacco by day in the mines and smoke by pipe after the day was done .From the same plug . Bull Durham also made duel use plugs .

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I was at Habana in Albany, NY. On this site as a sponsor it is Pipes and cigars.com. I noticed they had rope tobacco, but don't know if it was US, may have been G & H out of England.

Status
Not open for further replies.