PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I really like Heavy reds with English blends........... Italian super tuscans, well aged Cabernets, ..... Nothing bright, or sweet....... Dark and thick......... try it with GLP's Odyssey or Gaslight..........
Orgasmic ............. almost........... ;)

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Love me some food and wine pairings, but I've never found wine to go well with a pipe. The tannins in the reds and acid in the whites just seemed exacerbate any lingering tongue bite and drowned out any nuance in the tobacco.

Now a nice Ruby, Vintage or Tawny Port is a completely different story. Those seem to work well with a myriad of different tobaccos. I think its the sweetness and the viscosity that help carry the tobcacco flavors.

I've also read that Sherries (both dry and sweet) can work well with pipe tobacco because of the nuttiness found in most of them, but I have not tried this out yet.

Me personally, I stick with some type of brown spirit usually. A good Scotch with English blends or a Bourbon or Cognac with Virginia-based blends. But I do like a good IPA with some Va/Per blends.

Otherwise, a good cup of coffee or tea always compliments my blends.

YMMV.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I just recently discovered small batch Mezcal. It goes incredibly well with every tobacco I've tried it with. The smoky sweetness and herbal notes match both aro and English well. However, I like Heinz ketchup on eggs. So, take my opinion for what it's worth.

Reactions: monty55

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Has anyone tried pairing marsala or Dubonet with a pipe?
Not Marsala or Dunonet but frequently an Italian amaro (bitter). Spirit or wine based digestif macerated with herbs, spices, flowers, citrus peel and more secret ingredients than Col. Sanders knew existed. Most are sweetened, but not
sickly like liqueurs.

More-ish. The herbal notes and bitterness work well with tobacco (cigars and pipes).

Reactions: Ahi Ka