PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
MD20/20 cause if you're going to drink wine and smoke a pipe you have to make sure no one calls you a snob and if they do you can give them a permanent smile without breaking a good bottle of wine.
Though honestly Brandy or Cognac seems to go better with pipe smoking then any wine I've had. I find wine and pipes don't really enhance each other and more get in the way of properly enjoy either to the full extent. Hence my silly and obviously very real first response.

Though honestly Brandy or Cognac seems to go better with pipe smoking then any wine I've had. I find wine and pipes don't really enhance each other and more get in the way of properly enjoy either to the full extent. Hence my silly and obviously very real first response.
Yeah - I agree. So far with a pipe or cigar i prefer whiskey and I suppose brandy/cognac would be ok if your one of those types ;)

btw when I ready MD20/20 I threw up a little in my mouth. Only had it once back in college and never touched it again

• Haha
Reactions: Fralphog
I’m just not sure. I know my wines fairly well. But, I really only drink maybe a glass or two a week, never more than a glass a day.
I do smoke while sipping, but it’s never really struck me as something to “pair.”
Sweet, dry, fruity, or earthy, I tend to just enjoy the wine for what it is, and the tobacco for what it os seperately.

I’m not sure whether a dry would pair better with a sweet Virginia, or sweet with sweet. Do you want to compliment them or contrast? Not sure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yeah - I agree. So far with a pipe or cigar i prefer whiskey and I suppose brandy/cognac would be ok if your one of those types ;)

btw when I ready MD20/20 I threw up a little in my mouth. Only had it once back in college and never touched it again
when you drink that stuff you realize hobos aren't all crazy cause the only time I've seen a cop say "you know what fuck this you're someone else's problem" involved a normally very well behaved fellow who drank that crap. I think it takes a lot of crazy for them to be like I don't need the aggravation of processing this fucker. If you're going for hobo wines I recommend wild Irish rose. It induces a much more laid back crazy. More the oh no why would ever think he could sell a threesome to anyone type of crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: OSOBUCO

BobbyD

Lurker
Feb 5, 2022
Rockland County, NY
I have wine most days of the week. Nothing fancy. $20 table wine range. Usually a Bordeaux or a dry Italian red. I don't consciously pair wines with my smokes but if I did, I would like contrast. So a sweet smoke with a dry Montepulciano D'Abruzzo. If I'm having a smokey latakia then maybe a sweet Louis Jadot Cru to balance it out? Never thought about it really. I'm always ruminating on my next scotch purchase though.

well...i think I am gonna pick up a chocolate aro for big cabs. dark chocolate is a perfect paring from my experience. any recommendations on a chocolate aro that doesn't taste like medicine? Also, remember I'm a pussy when it comes to tongue bite these days but I am getting better!!!

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
No way man…not gonna give up my stash. So, I go and tell you my favorite ? and you run out and buy it all up huh?!
I’ll be left wondering why I’m such a nice guy, with only Boone’s Farm in my friggin hand right?! Not gonna happen see…not gonna happen! ?☕

BTW, I drink ☕️, not ?. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I’m just not sure. I know my wines fairly well. But, I really only drink maybe a glass or two a week, never more than a glass a day.
I do smoke while sipping, but it’s never really struck me as something to “pair.”
Sweet, dry, fruity, or earthy, I tend to just enjoy the wine for what it is, and the tobacco for what it os seperately.

I’m not sure whether a dry would pair better with a sweet Virginia, or sweet with sweet. Do you want to compliment them or contrast? Not sure.
why not become a full blown wino and use research as your excuse. It is good to know your options.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and OSOBUCO

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Though honestly Brandy or Cognac seems to go better with pipe smoking then any wine I've had. I find wine and pipes don't really enhance each other and more get in the way of properly enjoy either to the full extent.
I too love wine, but I agree 100%.

I rarely drink wine when I'm smoking a pipe or cigars. If it is wine, then it will have to be a Vintage Port (Portugese, of course)

My tipple of choice is cognac or a rum/rhum. Occasionally a whisky/whiskey.

A G&T or Campari&soda on hot days.

And never beer. Love a beer on a hot day, but I don't find it enhances a pipe or cigar.