PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I have tried D. To me this was a solid medium-English. the latakia was prominent but not overpowering. It burned even and clean with a smooth smoky flavor. There was a touch of spiciness that peeked through often, but wasn't always present. The closest thing I have had is Peter Stokkebye Proper English.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Packages B & C are proving to be something of a challenge. I smoked a clay bowl of B this morning and a bowl of C after lunch. I am perplexed by these two tobaccos and I will smoke another bowl of B this evening and then write a review and tell you what I think it might be. I have avoided Condor all day otherwise I will not be able to taste anything. More to follow!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
UPDATE:
I also rehydrated "F" for a few days now ... and it changed. Smoking it back to back with Haunted Bookshop I would say not the same but similar. HB has more Perique and mystery "F" has something more musty/floral, maybe an Oriental. Also, HB has a fair amount of cube cut pieces and "F" did not. So, in the end ... similar to but not the same.
This is FUN! :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have just smoked another bowl of mystery B and I have to say it burns very hot and certainly walloped the roof of my mouth. It reminds me of a tinned tobacco I smoked years ago that someone purchased for me in Germany - maybe it reminds me of Prince Albert but other than that I am stumped. I give up on mystery brand B. I think I will have another go on mystery C. I am still convinced that bag F is Haunted Bookshop.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
If it dried enough the cubed burley would fall apart right? If so, that could account for the amount of small chips of tobacco in F.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very true Boz!
Also, the difference in age and the fact that it was rehydrated at least twice now.
Nonetheless, we agree that it is VERY similar in it's constituents.
I'm moving on to "D" and "E" and can't wait for the others to chime in on these!

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Her name is Harley she is supposed to be predator control for the birds, but has a ton of training to go. A Great Pyrenees is quite stubborn, she is very friendly to us though. We'll see how she handles spending time alone with access to some birds, just too young and playful to be trusted yet.
I enjoyed this experiment, trying tobacco with no expectations on what it will be like.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well gentlemen I have now smoked another bowl of bag C again and it is very distinctive. I think I know what B & C are but I am afraid I am going to have to go for a life line on these two by getting a friend of mine to render a second opinion. I will be back in a day with my definite answer. Suffice to say I have visited my local tobacconist and poked around his jars of OTC offerings and I think I may have come up with the answer.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I got samples A, E and F. I brought them to the B&M today to try with the owner and compare notes. I'm sorry to say that nothing really stood out among the 3 tobaccos. Ron, the owner, thought they might be from Altadis based on the cut.

Sample "A"

A black Cavendish based on it's sweetness. There may be a bit of burley in it but we're guessing here.
Sample "E"

A straight Virginia to our tastes. Bit of a bite which suggested red Va to us.
sample "F"
A burley for sure with, maybe, a hint of perique.
All in all, nothing remarkable among the 3 blends. I wish I could say more but it is what it is. None of the samples reminded us of any specific blends and I wonder if they are intended to be for blending purposes. Just a guess but we were stymied.

I do have enough to show to Russ O. at our next pipe meeting so maybe he can shed some light. I'll report any revelations.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I was able to start in on "E" today before work.
It is definitely Virginia forward but also seems to have some Perique - possibly light Burley and Cavendish, too.

The bag smells of stewed fruits, figs, etc...

To me, it is like a mild VaPer along the lines of AJ's VaPer or GLP Tribute.

Even similar to Virginia Spice but without the secret "spice" portion.
I'm going to return to 2 different 1/2 bowls that I left earlier today to check them on the relight.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Finally got some "alone time" with sample "D".
This one is a mild to mild/medium English blend.

It is not a Virginia forward blend and the Burley / Orientals take front row seats.
There are WAY too many blends that match this description to pick one but here's some examples:
Early Morning Pipe, Squadron Leader, Balkan Sasieni, H&H Daybreak, Bosphorus Cruise
So, to summarize my opinion of the three samples recieved:
Sample "D": Mild or Mild/Medium English Blend
Sample "E": Mild/Medium VaPer
Sample "F": Bur/Per
Thanks again Wayne for this opportunity! Looking forward to hearing other's verdicts.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wayne my friend. I am happy to let you know we are making some progress here and my friend will be adding his input on B & C in a day or so. Be back with your shortly.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well Condorlover sent me his samples I smoked them. I compared them to the wide variety of blends in my cellar and these are my conclusions.
B: is a dark flake with a hint of latakia. Maybe a Rattray product. It has a very similar tin note to Marlin Flake, but it isn't Marlin. I also detect no perique. It is sweet so there are some Virginias in there. I also detected to strong casing so I'm going with a more natural Light English Flake. I compared it against SG FVF, MacBaren Va 1, Marlin Flake, and Gaslight. It isn't any of those.
F: is a burley, and I'm pretty sure it is either a mixing Burley or something like Carter Hall or half and half.
C: is a B&M blend. It smells and smokes really similar to a blend by the Tinder Box called Chartwell. The tin note is almost exact, texture is similar, and has the same Rum type casing and creamy taste.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Sorry! This is super lat! Ben having some issues with my gum (wisdom tooth causing some trouble), so haven't had much time to smoke recently.
Sample F: Smells kind of like a haybarn, strongly reminds me of Semois. Primarily light brown pieces with very infrequent darker flecks. I presume this is a Burley blend.
Smoking in my unfinished corncob, which might yield me inaccurate results (the one I smoked Semois in). For some reason, I’m getting slight hints of mushroom. Honestly, so far (about 5-10 minutes in, this blend is kind of flavorless. Not a fan of it.
Sample C: Smells like Hyde Park. I suck at this because I can’t pick out the individual odors. It smells like Hyde Park but it doesn’t look like it. Can’t determine the primary ingredient, but I presume it’s primarily Virginia with some Latakia and Orientals. Too fragrant and unique for Cavendish to be the main “aromatic” agent. I see bits of broken flake. Kind of reminds me of a GL Pease or C&D blend in terms of consistency.
Don’t really taste much just breathing in the stuff packed into the pipe without lighting it. Smoking it from my bent billiard meerschaum. False light has some slightly spicy fruitiness. Perhaps perique? Maybe some smokiness too… holy, I’m bad at this. Reminds me of Quiet Nights now. Slight sweetness in the taste. Smells like a toned down but sweeter Hyde Park when exhaled through the nose. A sweet toastiness as well.
Sample B: Smells kind of chocolatey. Really reminds me of some sort of chocolate flake blend. Really reminds me of SG Chocolate Flake just from odour. However, the cut is not the same. It’s in a broken flake, I can’t imagine there being Cavendish. Most likely Perique and Latakia. Doesn’t smell fruity/figgy enough for there to be much Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.