PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'm looking for a few brave souls who really know their tobaccos and are up for a challenge.
I have a handful of tobaccos (6) that I have no idea what they are and want to see if a few different pipers can try them and see if they can come to a conclusion on what they might be. These tobaccos were given to a friend in 2004 so they are at least 10 years old. They were forgotten about and dried out until recently. They have all been re-hydrated. They other tobaccos that WERE named are all keepers so I figure these must be pretty good too...or at least is sounds like a good theory.
Anyone care to give it a whirl? All I need is a mailing address, no $$$ needed. Send a PM if interested.

Being there are only limited amounts of tobacco, it depends on how many takers/guessers/reviewers there are as to how many of the 6 tobaccos you will receive. Anywhere from min. 3 to all of 6 blends. All I ask is they are smoked in a timely fashion and report back with your findings, even if the verdict is horseshit. :rofl:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No takers yet?
I would be happy to be a taster for your experiment.
... even if my findings represent "Stud Muffins"! LOL
PM Sent

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Okay, that seems like enough "testers" to get things going. I have all the PM's and I'll get samples out this week. Thanks gents. :puffy:

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
You would think at this stage in the internet game spammers would figure out they hurt business more than help it with those tactics.
Anyhow, the samples should be arriving soon. I hope all the samples are better than the first un-named I tried.
I had one tiny baggie I didn't split up...for a few reasons. #1 it was too small, only a bowl & a half worth. #2 after years sitting in a box in a folded over plastic bag it was still moist! I new better and went ahead and tried it. After letting it sit for hours on the counter with the sun hitting it, it was still moist...it was some kind of aro at some point in its life but there was no smell left in it at all. All that was left was a horrid chemical taste. I tried for about 5 minutes to see if it would get better, and I found out that I wasted 6 minutes of my life on it. :crying:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
OK ... Samples are here!

I received samples of "D", "E" and "F".
Initial sniff test:
"D": Latakia, Virginia and possibly Cavendish as well.

"E": Virginia, Burley and Cavendish. Possibly some Orientals.

"F": Burley, Virginia and tiny amount of Cavendish ... Think Old Codger Blend!
These, of course, are first impressions only and my whole kitchen smells like beef jerky right now.

So, these samples will come camping with me for a few days and I'll report back!
Thanks Wayne!

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Mine arrived as well, I got A,D,F.
A: Looks like black Cavendish but doesn't smell like it, possibly perique. Not any smell I am familiar with.

D: Most obvious here is the presence of latakia, looks like some lighter pieces of tobacco that could be burley,virginia, or orientals. I guess there could be cavendish as well .

F: Looks like plain burley, possibly some oriental or virginia.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Quick update on "F":
That is NOT Cavendish in there ... it's Perique!

The bowl starts off nutty and not very sweet at all.

Soon, the Perique kicked in. Not SUPER peppery but certainly there.

Definitely a "Codger" blend of sorts.
If I were to place a name to this blend it would be Old Joe Krantz or Haunted Bookshop.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mine arrived yesterday. I have not opened the package yet as I have put the whole of Sunday aside to examine and smoke the contents. Got a batch of clays in especially to tackle this subject so I hope to post tomorrow. Thanks for the challenge!

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I tried A and F today.

A: This was a decent smoke, tasted like it has latakia even though I didn't smell it. It is however the first tobacco that has given me true bite. Kinda felt like hot sauce, I'm a perique novice but I think that is the cause of this.
F: It started off tasting mostly like burley, but at about halfway it started to get harsh. This had enough Nicotine to bother me on an empty stomach, I will need to try it on a full stomach next time. It seemed to burn really fast as well.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I just tried "F". Nothing I have had before & is pretty bland IMHO. I noted the slight bit of pepper that Cobguy noted, that was about it. I have just over an oz left if anyone really likes it.
Being in the same box of tobaccos that were with it such as McC 2015, Balkan Sasieni, & Dunhill 965, I really thought it would have more substance to the flavor.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
It's possible that I just don't get along with one of the ingredients in F. I usually can handle a decent amount if nicotine. It also burned fast... Maybe a little hydration will help.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
F is a very interesting animal. At first I thought it was a little too dry and I noted the other comments that reflected that fact so I re hydrated it in a Mason jar with a new clay stone soaked in ice cold water so as not infect it with smell of my usual blend. My first bowl full was interesting to put it mildly. Having put my pipe down to go out and sign for something from Fedex I was amazed by the room note, very musty. In the matter of nicotine levels I thought it was moderate to medium but best smoked on a full stomach as I could see this causing lesser mortals a problem. It is best to puff slowly otherwise you get that ash taste and the stuff burns to a white ash. In terms of 'what is it?' given that this tobacco is loaded with perique and was initially deceptive on its first lighting and given the fact that I have many friends who let me try their blends so I don't stink up the house with my blend I would guess this is Haunted Library. Full and final answer! I will post back on the other ones later today.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought I used a new John Pollock plain 'cutty' clay pipe to do the test on and I will smoke the rest of F today and then discard the pipe unless anyone wants it in which I can have my secretary send it on to whoever wants it packed in bubble wrap - just PM me!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Got the package today. I'm going to approach this the same way I participated in the 65 year-old Scots Cake project. I'm going to consult my tobacconist, a blender and another pipe master with extensive knowledge of blends. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.