PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
My Grandfather smoked cigs and drank Old Crow. But his grandfather was a Texas Ranger and played the bagpipes. I am sure their was a tobacco pipe in there somewhere cause it was a good Scottish family.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My Maternal Grandfather (Grandpa Bob) is what we called him, was the prototypical Type B personality. He lived until I was 21 so, I have many fond memories. My Grandparents lived about an hour from us most of that time and we visited quite often. They were campers and took on a number of two and three week long trips, mostly to the South and West.

Grandpa Bob was a pipe smoker. He smoked Amphora Brown to the exclusion of all other brands/blends. He smoked one pipe at a time. Grabows or Medicos as I recall. My Grandmother told me after his passing that one pipe lasted about six weeks after which he threw it away and bought a new one. He used a Zippo. I don't recall if it had a pipe chimney or not. He did use the paper tubed filters in his pipes.

He was a constant smoker. If he wasn't sleeping or eating, he had a pipe in his hand or mouth. My Grandparents ate every Dinner out except for Holiday meals. Ponderosa, those old "Dutch" restaurants and Bob Evans were the favored spots. I remember trips to Rio Grand Ohio when it had the only location.

I have many memories of sitting in restaurants while Grand Pa lingered over coffee and a pipe far longer than my Sister am I squirmed in our chairs, waiting to leave!

Whenever my Wife and I visit his grave, I always have a pipe and, now that it is available, some Amphora Brown. He was a good guy. On his Death Certificate, his occupation is listed as "Chief Security Guard". He worked at a Research Facility for Babcock&Wilcox in Canton,Oh. Early on, before I was born, he owned two bars in town. He thought it might be profitable to have a peanut vending machine in each place. Two "gentlemen" from Youngstown convinced him otherwise, unless they were owned and operated by their Boss. He decided to forego machines and soon sold both bars. I think these fellows left quite an impression on him!

he served in WWII in the Navy as a radio operator. He never spoke of his time in the military. Ever.

Mike S.

Reactions: Kottan
Status
Not open for further replies.