PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I haven't tried changing the strings to lighter no - what difference do smaller strings make? (Real question)
If the action is high as in hard to play light strings can make all the difference in the world a friend of mine gave me a guitar and it had like medium gauge strings on it and it was hard to play I threw some ultra light strings on it and it played like butter he was all oh man I want that guitar back. So if you see extra light or ultra lite maybe try em out if they are too light and you get buzzing on the frets try just a light gauge.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
This might’ve been covered in the thread (didn’t go back to read) but does anyone here own/play a genuine Gibson Les Paul? I’ve had a few Epi LPs that didn’t do much for me and I got rid of them. Thinking about getting a real Gibson sometime though.

Reactions: RookieGuy80
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I haven't tried changing the strings to lighter no - what difference do smaller strings make? (Real question)
String size is less important than set up, a properly setup guitar should be comfortable to play with any size strings on it if its set up for those strings. Do yourself a favor and take your guitar to a professional and have it setup, your hands will thank you.

• Love
Reactions: renfield
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This might’ve been covered in the thread (didn’t go back to read) but does anyone here own/play a genuine Gibson Les Paul? I’ve had a few Epi LPs that didn’t do much for me and I got rid of them. Thinking about getting a real Gibson sometime though.
I don't currently own a Gibson LP but I have, and Ive played several. Like any other guitar if they're setup properly they're very nice. But unless I was playing professionally I couldn't justify the price of a Gibson. There are loads of lower cost LPs that sound just as good and play just as well. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with Epiphone.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Not really Les Paulish at all but if you can wrap your hands around a Gibson Melody Maker sometime they are a really fine instrument and the body construction and pick-up configuration make them really light and versatile. Worked with a guy who had two identical 68's for the road and another that only went to the studio , dont recall the year.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Not really Les Paulish at all but if you can wrap your hands around a Gibson Melody Maker sometime they are a really fine instrument and the body construction and pick-up configuration make them really light and versatile. Worked with a guy who had two identical 68's for the road and another that only went to the studio , dont recall the year.
I recently got one of these Sterling Music Man knock-offs. Serious quality! Holds tune for days, sounds great, and feels like a much more expense model. Not much to look at (very plain), but neither am I.
IMG_3122.jpeg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I recently got one of these Sterling Music Man knock-offs. Serious quality! Holds tune for days, sounds great, and feels like a much more expense model. Not much to look at (very plain), but neither am I.
View attachment 259126
Yeah, I like that pickup configuration and the streamlined look.

I played the Ernie Ball music man stingray basses for years in the 90's great stuff, I would love to get one of those again.

I'm sure the Sterling version is great but I'm just a vintage guy seems Sterling is the 3rd iteration and they are much cheaper same stuff but built in Indonesia. Don't know if I'm willing to pay an extra $1000 for an American-made maybe when spotify folds ;)