PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@anotherbob : Don't be too shocked. I knew a guy who was obsessed with his bowel functions to the extent that he would photograph his morning 'movements' with a Polaroid Camera to show his doctor. I was at his house and picked up what I thought was a family photo album to be confronted with 50 pages of this fellows 'dropping the kids off at the pool' which was not exactly the family I or anyone else had in mind!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob : Don't be too shocked. I knew a guy who was obsessed with his bowel functions to the extent that he would photograph his morning 'movements' with a Polaroid Camera to show his doctor. I was at his house and picked up what I thought was a family photo album to be confronted with 50 pages of this fellows 'dropping the kids off at the pool' which was not exactly the family I or anyone else had in mind!
And people wonder why I didn't want to go to medical school. From talking to doctors this guy isn't that uncommon. Like he's a weirdo yes but not as much as we think he is. Fun fact when they want a stool sample they just need a smear and despite telling people that most people give a whole log, some multiple logs.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I find that older people (60s and 70s) much prefer to talk on the phone to text, and the younger the person, the more likely they are to text than actually talk. Texting is useful on many levels, one of which is we get to think about what we are going to say before we say it, and in actual conversation this is much more difficult. But I can't help but think something is being lost by not taking the trouble to figure out how to do this.
I also find it true that phone calls vs texting is very much age related. I have some younger friends who only text and I don't think I've ever gotten a phone call from them. Conversely, my older friends never text and insist on calling.

I also agree with your point that texting gives you time to think about what you are going to say, which is probably a primary reason I prefer it over phone conversations. Text messaging is usually a more limited exchange as well, so there's no chance of being caught up in a long, awkward phone conversation, which I dread.

Another big advantage of text and email is that you have a record of conversation that you can refer back to. During my career this was very important to me, and was the main reason why I avoided phone or even in-person conversations when I could, because so much can be misconstrued, misunderstood, or misremembered in a conversation. I considered email to be critical for CYA, and it served me well in that regard on many occasions.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I prefer calling as opposed to emails or texting. Voice inflection helps to convey intent and meaning. Not everyone takes time to think out a message or email. Many people don't think before they open their mouths so, I suppose the various methods of social intercourse all have their pluses and minuses. Hard to beat face to face in most instances, body posture, facial tells, gestures all enhance verbal communication. Well, if you can abide the other party for any length of time.

Reactions: PipesRock
Jan 27, 2020
This is basically what I found out after I started getting calls from Yvonne. It also reminded me how much I enjoyed talking to my Grandparents on the phone when they were still alive. My Mom, well I'll stick to texting her as 90% of the conversation is a one way woefest.

• Wow
Reactions: PipesRock

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
This is basically what I found out after I started getting calls from Yvonne. It also reminded me how much I enjoyed talking to my Grandparents on the phone when they were still alive. My Mom, well I'll stick to texting her as 90% of the conversation is a one way woefest.

Agreed. I find texting my mom helps me cut out 90% of the woes I would normally make her listen to.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I enjoy a good phone chat. I have one with jiminks almost every night. Given my busy schedule it's sometimes difficult to find the time, but that makes the experience all the ore pleasurable.

Texting, on the other hand is an anathema to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see texting as a way to keep in touch, but not as much of a personal connection. Even longer texts can be just a nervous habit that supplants other forms of communication. I wouldn't text any more often than I see someone in person or at least telephone. Otherwise, it can be just faux friendship. It's like tracking someone on your social radar, as much a way to avoid them as to interact.

I admit, this could be generational. I'm part of the cohorts of people who actually wrote regular letters to friends and family, sometimes two or three pages. Since that sounds so dated, it might come back into vogue. My father had huge bundles of my letters. I think these were destroyed in one of our periodic flooded basements so they won't be mined by historians in years to come. Chapters could have been the college years, the navy years, etc.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I can see texting as a way to keep in touch, but not as much of a personal connection. Even longer texts can be just a nervous habit that supplants other forms of communication. I wouldn't text any more often than I see someone in person or at least telephone. Otherwise, it can be just faux friendship. It's like tracking someone on your social radar, as much a way to avoid them as to interact.

I admit, this could be generational. I'm part of the cohorts of people who actually wrote regular letters to friends and family, sometimes two or three pages. Since that sounds so dated, it might come back into vogue. My father had huge bundles of my letters. I think these were destroyed in one of our periodic flooded basements so they won't be mined by historians in years to come. Chapters could have been the college years, the navy years, etc.
Texting, like anything else, is neither good or bad: it just depends on how it's used. Many people, myself included, find great value and meaning in keeping up with people via text. It's a fast and easy way to stay connected on a regular basis. As in all things, YMMV. I also still send handwritten letters and postcards, though I hardly ever receive one in return. As far as that coming back into vogue, I wouldn't hold out too much hope there. It's time-consuming, and on top of that there is the ubiquitous horror most have regarding their own handwriting.

Jan 27, 2020
The anticipation and sensation of waiting to receive a letter from some girl you met while on vacation out of state with your parents around age 13 cannot be replaced by anything...and sadly such a scenario must be 100% extinct by now.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Hey me too. I am an old fart but I hate talking on the phone. Though I loved it till working certain jobs. One of those jobs sucked so much I had trouble sleeping because I'd honestly think "the sooner I fall asleep the sooner I'll feel like I am back at that place".

I now exactly how that feels and is the reason why I'm often smoking a bowl and browsing the forum past midnight.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I now exactly how that feels and is the reason why I'm often smoking a bowl and browsing the forum past midnight.
that sucks. My advice is if it's a job get a new one. If it's just life seek some professional help. If it's something else similar advice applies. But there aren't many things worth putting yourself through that for. Or you might just be like me and always tempted to stay up too late because there are things to do and all that and I misunderstood your comment.