PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom C

Lurker
Jan 23, 2021
I have smoked pipes off and on for over fifty years. I a Cabinetmaker by trade and have been doing that as long as I have smoked pipes. I'm always looking for a new tobacco but have several regular tobaccos on hand. Being a Cabinetmaker obviously puts me close to wood and I do a lot of repair on wood projects. Pipes are a new medium that have their challenges but that is something I love and how to figure out a project is always the big one. I look forward to this new site and all of the things each individual brings to the bench and ways we help one another. Looking forward to all that comes this ways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tom C, it sounds like you have a lot of expertise to share. I always learn something here -- history, pipe maintenance, identification, repair, etc. Welcome from central N.C., U.S.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We have a Pipe Restoration and Maintenance section, post your work here please. It's always good to see what trick a wood pro brings to the game.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Tom C

Lurker
Jan 23, 2021
Welcome @Tom C

I'd love to build my own pipe rack one day, I just may have to pick your brain on that one!
Ah yes pipe racks. After having not smoked my pipes for several years (not sure how that happened) I picked it back up like I'd never stopped. I had a two pipe stand and needed more so since I'm a cabinet maker for about 46 years I set about to make one or two or three. I drew up one but the geometry wan't quite right so I had to redraw it so it worked. Then I got a couple more pipes and needed bigger and so on. The one I settled on was an octagon. The problem I had was since my enthusiasim was piqued and I'd think well lets try this or that. I realized I had to settle on one for now and leave the rest on paper. I'm lucky to have just about every wood working tool imaginable so the machining part was pretty much straight forward. I wanted to add some flair to it so I grabbed up a couple ideas from past wood projects (I cad almost everything before I build so drawings abound). I haven't tried to post any pics on this site so I'm going to need to learn that so I can show what I'm talking about.

Reactions: bent1

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome form Sydney, Australia.
Do show some of your projects - completed or on the drawing board.
One of my sons is an industrial designer, so I do understand that between the idea and the completed project goes a lot of thought, sketches and working models, not mentioning time and effort.

Reactions: bent1

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Glad you joined the forum. Any particular blends you enjoy? Look forward to seeing your pics of the pipe rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.