PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thirteen years have been very kind to an already lovely tobacco. Blended by Sam Gawith using their finest Virginia tobacco and perique, the young blend is quite tea like with herbal notes. The flakes after all these years are dark and sparkley.

First bowl out of the mason jar was rushed, the flakes could use some drying out but I am not always a patient man. Honestly, it took all I had not to take a bite out of one the flakes. The first half of the bowl is smooth, creamy and satisfying.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
And me, being a photographer.

I will swing by work tomorrow and grab my gear.

This is a rather rare bird. Blended for Knox Cigar starting in, 2005... maybe? Real St. James leaf sent off to Sam Gawith to be handworked into a special blend of special virginias, steamed and pressed with S.G. magic.
Then in early 2008 Knox pulled the plug on Internet sales, etc. I ordered 4 or 5 tins and maybe 500 grams bulk before the first order was sold out and I think, that was it. Never to be made again...

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Some history...
Thanks for your interest in the Tavern Tobacco blends. As already pointed out, David is mistaken on the pricing; if you actually click on the tobacco you are interested in, you'll see that the price depends on the quantity ordered. I'd also like to point out that we don't simply apply a

tariff and re-package/re-label the tobaccos. The blends in question (Laurel Flake, McCraigan's Flake, Blackbeard's, Rusty Hinge,etc) were developed by us working hand in hand with Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth to arrive at the exact recipe we were looking for. These blends are made exclusively for Tavern Tobacco and are therefore not re-labeled stock blends. Again, thanks for your interest in our blends and please don't hesitate to contact us with any further questions, contact info can be found on our web site.
Regards,

Keith Toney

Knoxcigar/Tavern Tobacco Co.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Never to be made again..."
I just read that it is re-badged St. James Flake which matey says was confirmed by the folks at Samuel Gawith so fear not.
Regards,
Jay.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I'll share.

Where are my SG St. James Flake experts?

Send me the where-to-fores, and I'll get you all a pinch or 2 out.
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
18473004-orig.jpg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The herbal quality of the smoke have been aged away. The tea qualities remain but now they are tea with extra cream and sugar, mellow, thick, tasty contemplation.

Status
Not open for further replies.