PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I received a package of 3 corn cob pipes and 3 tobacco pouches to try out for the first time a couple days ago.

A MM country gentleman, washington and legend.

I first tried the half and half and it smells good in the pouch but once lit with the 3 stage method and charring light, all i seem to taste is that same nasty ash flavor you get from cigarettes.

I used all 3 tobaccos (half and half, sir walter raleigh and velvet) in the 3 different pipes and all 3 taste identical. It just tastes like i am eating a campfire. I sip very slowly, have tried with and without filters and clean after every smoke. I have just ordered some lane 1q and frogmortons cellar hoping this will give me the more desired flavors i was hoping for. I have maybe smoked 20 cigarettes in my life and really hate the taste, but i have smoked a hookah/shisha with flavored tobacco before which i loved.
Is that just the flavor of burning tobacco that i hate and I'm not someone who can get enjoyment from this hobby? or am i smoking rather cheap and low end tobacco? I also have a horrible taste in my mouth after i finish smoking. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Im hoping i can learn and get enjoyment from pipe smoking! :)

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Buy some better tobacco. I'm not saying that you need to buy the most expensive, but you should buy some aromatics if you want to try different flavors.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
A package of Frogmortons cellar and Lane 1q should be arriving at my house tomorrow, so i shall go as slow and steady with it as i can!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
OTC blends like the ones you mentioned will taste like cigarettes if smoked too fast. Of course you may just be an aromatic type of smoker, so try that route. Remember to smoke the aromatics slow or you'll get a similar taste that you got with the OTCs.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thankyou, ray47. I will try to go as slow as i can, what with it being new and exciting to load up a bowl and sit there with the pipe hanging out your mouth, it can be hard to resist not wanting to sip and sip and sip without putting it down. The inside of my bowls are already quite blackened too, i do wipe them with a paper towel but should they be black if I'm not wanting to build cake? ive heard cobs don't really need the cake build up as the cob absorbs a lot and cake can prohibit that

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Yes, the chambers will blacken from the heat, soot and tobacco oils. It's normal. "Cake" is a buildup of the soot, oils, and tobacco remnants. You don't want fresh walls on each smoke, but not a 1/8" buildup either. Find your happy medium.

Those OTC blends you mentioned taste like a cheap cigarette to me too, it's the underlying tobacco.

Make sure you let that baccy dry out a bit before smoking. If it feels wet (1Q probably will ) spread out a couple bowls worth on a plate and let it air out until it barely clumps together. Make a little ball of baccy slightly wider than the chamber and shove it in the top of your pipe, nice and easy, then light and enjoy.

P

pipebuddy

You bought Burley based tobaccos. Thus you are starting out with tobaccos that require some "tastebuds seasoning" before being able to detect the subtle tastes and flavours of burleys.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
A few Aros I can whole-heartedly recommend are 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher, Stanwell Jubilee, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake and Cornell & Deihl Autumn Evening.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Plum cake taste like stale cigarettes to me. So does Prince Albert. Carter Hall was a better OTC,but still the cigarette motif. Try Orlik Golden Sliced.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
1Q and Frog will taste different and burn different - but it's a definite step up to what you started off with. I started on 1Q and love it.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thankyou very much for the replies gents. I have heard great things about Orlick and will look into the 4 noggins blends. If there are any threads i should check out, please feel free to link them.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Wow, just smoked half a bowl of the lane 1q after I let it dry out a for 20 mins and just wow. The difference in everything was unbelievable! Did taste ashy toward the bottom of the bowl but I think that's normal, especially because I've not really smoked that far down before. I could pick up a definite sweetness, especially in the after taste. Thankyou again, will give the frogmortons cellar a go in my other cob tomorrow!

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Great to hear Pritch. You are in the beginning of an amazing journey. There are so many different tobaccos out there to try and the joy is in the exploration. You'll find some you dislike, some that are enjoyable, and some that you will love. And then, even more interestingly, you will find that your palate changes and what you once didn't like you may love in the future. This forum is invaluable for offering reviews and suggestions on individual tobacco in different genres. Enjoy the journey.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
If you like 1Q, try some BCA. It's another Lane product, and equally delicious. Has a very prominent vanilla carmel flavor.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Glad the 1Q worked out for you. Right now, it seems you're probably geared toward aromatics -- plenty to choose from there. But at some point, you may find yourself liking less flavored tobaccos, too. Finding different and new things that you like is just part of the fun.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Well after my first bowl of frogmortons cellar i can say that it was a huge step in the right direction but it definitely wasn't for me. It was smooth with zero bite but the flavors just didn't leave me wanting more. I do have a massive sweet tooth though! I also purchased some Capt. Black dark which i am currently enjoying more than the FMC, but it definitely isn't anywhere near as pleasant as the Lane 1q! I am loving its sweetness in the capt. black but the lane 1q most definitely has more of a pudding type taste rather than just an unidentifiable sweetness. Still great smokes and much better than the OTC's i started of with!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pritch, it's funny you mention Half&Half, Velvet, and SWR. I thought those three were among the worst-tasting I've ever smoked. I spent years smoking more cigarettes in a day than you have in your lifetime, and I thought thought those three tasted worse than cigs. I enjoy Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Granger, and Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed. Those are all burley based OTC's just like the three you mention, and yet I thought those three were terrible, with a strange plasticky taste that really stayed with you in an unpleasant way. I know there are people who enjoy them, but I personally think you were very unlucky in coming across those three first. Frankly, it would have given me a bad impression of what pipe tobacco is all about, too.
If you have found aromatics to your liking, good for you. There is an amazingly wide variety of them out there; if you stuck to nothing but aros for the rest of your life, you would still never get bored with how many of them there are to try. Not to mention all the other tobacco styles with their multiple varieties. You're in for a fascinating journey, my friend.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thanks aldercaker, the reason I got those 3 was because they came with the pipes and cigars starter kit 'Corn In the USA 2'. So I thought $25 for 3 pipes and 3 pouches wasn't too bad, but you get what you pay for I suppose!
Yes, I think for now I'm going to continue my adventure down the long road of aromatics but I have read so much about how peoples taste buds change and the tobaccos they have once hated turned into new friends, so we shall see!

And if anyone else would like to suggest more aromatics for me to try id be very thankful. :)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's all about finding what you like. I haven't tried either Velvet or Half and Half, but I had exactly the same reaction to Sir Walter Raleigh that you did - Blech.
Keep experimenting - at some point, Frog Morton may grow on you. Or not. Or something else will. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.