Tarred and Feathered! (Cleaning & Polishing) Pipe Rim.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
So this weekend i picked up some quite fancy estate pipes, and they have substantial amounts of carbon on the rims. It seems like when i go ahead with cleaning the rim(the classic spit shine method), i find that the rim is usually rather dull.
To my actual question now, i was wondering if the carbon build up actually damages the finish on the rim or if it just pulls the luster off when its cleaned and just needs a good buffing? I've seen a few of you guys clean up rims really nice, and im curious what exactly you guys do...and if you let me in on the big secret, i might..JUST MIGHT post pictures!! :lol:

rodserling

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
The disposable tips for roll-your-own cigarettes work very well, moistened with, you guessed it, saliva. They are very mildly abrasive. Dull the finish somewhat but nothing a touch of wax won't cure. Not bad for getting rid of oxidation on stems as well...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I buff mine on a wheel with some white diamond to bring back the shine, than with carnuba to protect the rim. You might be able to get some shine back by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.