PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi,

When you’re halfway down a bowl, or less, do you loosen up the smoked tobacco (now ash) and tap it out into an ash tray? If so, do you then tamp down what's left and re-light?

Thanks....
sometimes. I find it depends on the blend. Some ash can be really thick or impart an ashy flavor. And sometimes I just do it for fun.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

When you’re halfway down a bowl, or less, do you loosen up the smoked tobacco (now ash) and tap it out into an ash tray? If so, do you then tamp down what's left and re-light?

Thanks....
I do the latter, probably 999 times out of 1,000 bowls. And that one time is probably because I thought I had already finished the bowl and was just dumping the ash.

Reactions: dunnyboy

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Of course, some ash you simply tamp down (and it helps maintain an even, sustainable burn). The question is how much ash calls for a dump. And I think that guys vary on that.

For me, if I'm using a shorter bowl (like a squattier bulldog, for instance), I may get through the bowl without dumping much.
Whereas, if I'm using a taller bowl, I'll typically dump about half-way down.

I find that the last few minutes before needing to dump ash can be the best few minutes of the bowl. The remaining tobacco never seems quite as good after that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hi,

Thanks....
Only if I KNOW there is good tobacco left, and it wont stay lit. Most times instead of tamping, i rotate the tamper to even the ash out all around the bowl. That seems to help keep it lit.

Sometimes after dumping and relighting causes a gross taste for the rest of the bowl, but sometimes not.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I tamp it, then just turn the pipe upside down and let the ash fall into an ashtray. Sometimes I empty it first then tamp. I don't tap the pipe to get rid of the ash.Like the other member said it depends on the tobacco.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It all has to do with how the smoke is going. I try not to disturb the ember as much as possible by the poking around near the wall of the chamber. That loosens the ash enough, if you tip it upside down, they will fall out.

But a lot of time, I don't empty ashes now days. The thing I noticed is, the part of the tobacco by the wall of the chamber that didn't catch the ember previously will catch it when there's ash covered center.

Only time I dump ashes now is when it interferes with smoke and how it tastes.