PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
This isn’t fancy, and I’m not bragging, but I put this together from old hanging lamp parts today while I was out at my father’s house. He has a lot of parts like this. image.jpgI always like when I don’t have to spend money for something. This tamper only cost a short amount of my time.

I also turned two wooden tampers on the lathe, but I’m not quite ready to show those yet. They need some finishing work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How did you piece this together? With super glue? It looks as if it is cast all of one piece, and elegant. Every time you go see your dad you could make another tamper.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
How did you piece this together? With super glue? It looks as if it is cast all of one piece, and elegant. Every time you go see your dad you could make another tamper.
No glue, most of those hanging lamp parts use the same size threaded tubing to piece together. image.jpgOn the other end I just used a carriage bolt with some tape wrapped around it so it would fit in there right (it has different threads and diameter). I had to pound the carriage bolt in, but it could be removed with some effort.

The only downside of this tamper is that it is quite heavy. Probably wouldn’t want to use the weight to tamp, it would be too much.

Reactions: JOHN72

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I definitely think it is a step up from the one I made last night from things within arm’s reach. That wooden part was a chopstick. I had $ .10 in building this one (as you can see) and it might have been a ripoff at that! It is certainly less elegant. image.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This isn’t fancy, and I’m not bragging, but I put this together from old hanging lamp parts today while I was out at my father’s house. He has a lot of parts like this. View attachment 141430I always like when I don’t have to spend money for something. This tamper only cost a short amount of my time.

I also turned two wooden tampers on the lathe, but I’m not quite ready to show those yet. They need some finishing work.
I like it.