PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Lately I've been smoking my War Horse Red. It's been one of the hardest tobacco I've had to figure out so hard. I usually don't bother with smoking blends I do not enjoy right off the bat, but this one I took personally, it did cost me some good money, after all.
I tried cutting it into thicker chunks and smoking it that way, which did reduce the roughness that was bothering me by a significant bit.
Is there anything else I should watch out for to get the most out of it?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Crumbling the whole bar and putting it into a jar for a week or three -occasionally opening it - helps with many blends.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Cosmic

I've been wanting to try baking tobacco for a while now, I think WarHorse is gonna get that.
I just don't know what to seal it in first.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Pitchfork (a forum member here) was just talking about cutting his War Horse with Samuel Gawith's Lakeland Dark. That won't cut down on the nicotine but it should help calm down the excessive topping that I get from the rereleased War Horse Bars. Maybe Pitchfork will weigh in.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I put the remaining bar I had in an Irish Flake tin, since I had throw away the War Horse one.
Baked it for an hour at 100C. God damn, what came out is this one of the most delicious smelling tobacco I've sniffed. The residual scent from Irish Flake had some effect on it too. Going to smoke it this evening.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Now I know how Willy Wonka felt about people trying to steal the secrets to his Ever Lasting Gob Stopper! Actually I find mixing it with either finely cut XXX Black Twist or Condor Plug seems to add something to the smoking experience, to amp it down a little I find mixing it with some Warrior Plug does the trick. Turning the War Horse Bar into a sort of brownie with out the addition of cannaboids sounds like sacrilege. :rofl:

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
jvnshr

I just noticed Deniz's question.
I did not like the bitterness of tobacco combined with the flavoring. I am not sure if it is bitterness at all, I just do not enjoy getting that rough tobacco flavor on my tongue when the scenting makes you expect something a lot milder/smoother.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's a good flavor, just way too much of it."
Michael, the War Horse Green and War Horse Red you sent me I put into small ziplock bags then I put those bags into two small square tins (Mac Baren HH size) and left them in my kitchen.
Four or five months on, everytime I enter my kitchen I am greeted with that distinct stench aroma!
Regards,
Jay.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
deniz

This is not set in stone, there are many variations of temperature/duration you can use.
It can be done with any cut of tobacco, but it's more commonly done on sealed tins, and Virginia blends.

I've heard of people getting good results with Erinmore and Royal Yacht, and Virginia blends in general, too.
I just improvised with my open Warhorse bar because I could not find a better use for it. You might want to read the tin baking bit from Fred Hanna's book.
Also, I did smoke the baked warhorse just now, I like it better this way, it tastes like an actual tobacco. Might have cooked it a bit less to keep some of that topping.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
kanse, I'm not sure why the War Horse is coming off rough or harsh. For me, it's almost too smooth. I originally toned down the flavor of the Green with some Lakeland Dark, but today I'm smoking it with some Brown Bogie which makes it a bit more stout and, I suppose, rough. I kinda like it that way. I never smoked the original War Horse, so I have no idea how the remake compares.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
condorlover, I know you've smoked the original War Horse -- was it as smooth as the remake?

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
deniz

I don't think Mac Baren HH blends need any further tinkering, especially not BK.
I plan to do this with most blends that I find unpleasant, rather than throw them away or let them lay around.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
kanse, it must be a body chemistry thing, because almost any MacBaren blend (except for Golden Extra) bites the hell out of me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One way to tame an aromatic to taste (and if you don't need it tamed don't do it) is to take two or three bowls and put them in a pottery or cereal bowl and let it dry out and vent its flavoring, and smoke it for a few days and see when it tastes best. Over time, most aros lose some of their flavoring in the jar, but it takes a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.