PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have been looking for a full time job for some time now and have not had any luck. All I hear is "we have decided not to continue your application process" or "we are going to pursue canadates that have more relevant experience". Even though I have tons of experience in that field, I guess another applicant had more. It just gets me down, especially when I am hassled for not getting a better job by my loved ones like I'm not trying!
Sorry for this post, but I need to let it out somehow and no one else wants to listen. Not that you want to but I feel like you are all my extended family in some way.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This is a really hard time for lots of people. The "so-called" economic recovery is just that ... "so-called".
For every job opening right now there are hundreds of applicants.
The worse part is getting flack if you're truly trying ... that's not cool.
Keep your faith and keep on trying buddy ... something will click!
In the meantime, we are DEFINITELY here to listen and offer whatever help possible.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The British SAS's motto is "Who dares, wins". Do not give up, carry yourself with pride and confidence and always stay positive. It isn't easy, but achieving what is worthwhile seldom is. Continue to believe in yourself and you'll be fine.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Sorry it hear that red beard. I hope things look up soon. I've been sitting in at interviews at my job and will have to look for a new job in a few years. I'm not looking forward to job search. I hope things "click" for you or that the right job find you or vice versa.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I'm on the same boat right now.
I leave my full time job because of the many violations to the original employment agreement that I sign and right now I have a part time job with 20 hours week and I just start working this week on a grocery store but they only offer as part time not more than 25 hours total per pay period (biweekly)... Not many employers want to hire full time and the requirements for part time are crazy (open hours, random shifts, basic benefits and pay just $1 or $2 above minimum wage).
Good luck and DON'T give up!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
redbeard,

Keep your chin up, things will get better. I've been there three times, and each time worked out for the better. Patience is key here, just when you least expect it, that perfect opportunity will present itself. Trust me on this. Feel free to "vent" here anytime, we're all brothers(& sisters) here!! :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+ 1 with all of the above. I've gone through a number of challenging times. I work in an industry where long term employment does not exist, and hasn't for decades. I look for work several times a year. I put up with this because I love what I do. I've learned to adapt to changing times. Keep shaking the bushes, don't let the bastards get you down, and be persistent. Every day is one day closer to your next adventure.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I graduated from university (college) 2.5 years ago. Was on the unemployment line for 18 months before I got a job at a startup as a part time office girl. I'm glad, because within 6 months, I was appointed as a senior executive.
Although being broke and unemployed sucked at the time, I'm glad that I (had no choice but to) waited till this opportunity arose.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hang in there Red - something WILL come up. It might not be what you want and probably won't be what you expect, but you will find work. The loved ones thing is very hard for all concerned and hurtful for you. It grinds you down. Like most middle-aged men, I've been unemployed before and both of my sons have struggled in the past. In my experience, the digs and comments are born of worry and fear rather than any lack of love. "You're not trying" is the easiest arrow to shoot and one of the most hurtful. Luckily, it's also one of the easiest to defend if you are doing your best. Tell them. Show them. Calmly and in detail. Take anything you can get that will bring in more than you're getting now, will keep you occupied while you search, and may lead to the opportunities you really want. View this as a test and remember that most issues are resolved through flexibility and ingenuity rather than just blind effort.
I don't know you so can't comment in detail, but I hope this encourages you. 14 years ago, I was running a number of successful UK financial printing firms for a US parent. I was hired when they moved to this country and built up every firm they bought through massive drive and effort. I put everything into that company - including financial investment - and when the banks suddenly foreclosed on the parent I lost everything. I had to lay off all of the staff and go home to tell my wife that we had lost our house, cars - the lot. We were left in debt and destitute. There was chaos. After a couple of makeweight jobs and more heartache than I thought it possible to bear, I saw an opportunity to move into a totally different industry, took it, and worked my way up from the bottom. Again. The experience I gained in that field opened another avenue which looked really promising, so I moved sideways and have never looked back. Hard work isn't enough. It has to be tied to courage and flexibility if you are to succeed.
Apologies for the long post. I'm not preaching; I just hope this helps. Good luck!
Andy

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It is a tough situation and I'm familiar with the pressure friends a relatives put on you. I took ten years off from my job to stay home and raise my two sons. Towards the end of that period ( I was 45) I started putting out resumes and getting nothing. The few interviews I got had questions like, "You're older than our managers. Would you have a problem taking supervision from people younger than you"?
What saved me was my past military experience recognized by my current employer. He said he knew my training was excellent and betted I had a good work ethic and hired me on the spot. So I got lucky.
I think it's even harder to get an interview if you are not currently working, so you might consider taking something under your qualifications just temporarily. At any rate I wish you the best of luck!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Keep your head up and keep on fighting, Red. I just went through a similar thing with losing my job. Although it is very very common and par for the course in the industry i am in, it is still a mixed bag of emotions ranging from depressing and disheartening to exciting and a chance to start something new. I was thankfully only out of work for a fairly short period of time, but the time i was unemployed was nothing short of shitty. Hang on and keep the faith. As cliche as it sounds, that's really all you can do and we all know that a positive outlook is absolutely essential.
Life is 10% what happens to you beyond your control, and 90% how you react to it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My sympathies.
As you consider we members to be a part of your extended family I am going to respond a bit differently from the others. I have no idea with regard to your field of experience so some of the following may not be applicable.
My father would have asked, "When was the last time you took a personal inventory? Are your skills competitive here or should you look for work in other areas where your experience and skills are sought after?"
Are you selling yourself in the best light, dressing appropriately for interviews? Is your resume up to date and written in the correct style? Are the listed previous employers in a position to praise your work ethic?
Is it time to learn new skills? The person hiring is looking for someone who will give the company the best return on the salary and benefits offered. You need to make him think that you are indispensable to the success of the operation and that by hiring you the bottom line will grow.
What are the employment opportunities in other localities? Should you relocate? Is it possible to relocate? Update your skill set? Increase your education?
Good luck! You sound as though it may be time to move or make yourself more attractive to prospective employers. Many companies around the country are looking for older, more experienced employees with a sterling work record. Hunting employment can discouraging, mentally tiring.
When preparing an application for employment look around the business, gather some intelligence. Are any of the employees wearing beards or mustaches? How are they dressed? Exposed tattoos? Try and determine what appears to be the norm and dress accordingly when sitting for an interview or presenting your application and resume. You are being visually screened, even at this level. The last thing you want to do is not make the cut at the very beginning of the process.
And one other item. You should always follow up an interview by asking how you could improve your chances of employment. You should accept that many companies will not respond but that one or two couple will. Take their observations to heart, evaluate the input and consider changes in how you respond to questions posed and appearance. No one enjoys being rejected, everyone should try and learn from the experience.
Hopefully there is something of use to you in all this. I wish you luck in your search.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nothing could be more depressing that not being able to do rewarding work.

Try not to let depression consume you. Stress and depression eat us alive.

Don't get down on yourself no matter what others may say. easier said than done, I know.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Have you had a professional look at your resume? An updated resume and cover letter is essential to getting your foot in the door. I know it was a huge step when I transitioned from Military to Civilian life and I cannot stress enough the importance of that first impression. Good luck to you Sir, keep your head up and keep pressing forward. Confidence in yourself will show in the interview.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck Redbeard. I too am looking for a new job. If your family doesn't believe you're trying, be sure to inform them of every job you applied for. There's few things more discouraging than lack of support from your loved ones.
Also, FWIW, from my own personal experience and from what I read online, cover letters are key, and often more important than the resume itself.
Personally I hate writing them, they have to be individually crafted and can take me a while to do, but quite often it's all they read, and will only glance at the resume.

I hate the whole apply online, digital cover letter, process thing. These screening processes suck. I miss the days of going in and shaking hands, making eye contact, and asking for a job. When I was giving my daughters advice on finding work, they started telling me that those old techniques wouldn't work. So, I set out to show my oldest how to walk in a "get" a job, like I used to be able to do. Damned if every attempt got me sent back to websites, emails, and such. Even the horticulture job that I was certain was going to be a given...
Keep at it. Keep your head up, and your eye on the ball. I am no good with this high tech applications and such. It seems that interpersonal skills are getting tossed out the window in exchange for Youtoobers and Flashybooks.
Good luck!

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and uplifting stories. I will keep at it and hope for the best! It really means a lot to me to have some support. I will keep you all updated.
It's hard to have a hobby such as this one when you are looking for work though that's for sure. Especially since I have so much down time which in turn means I smoke more LOL!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been at the same job for a number of years, and getting bored. I could not take the jump to management, without accounting. I started a MBA program in the evenings. Since I completed the degree, I have applied for about seven jobs in the company over a year and a half and only got one interview. I informed the HR person that the position was closed shortly after it was posted. My company talks about promotion, but they would rather take a chance on an outsider that has already done the job. I keep trying. Still, I have employment and a good paycheck.
Winton

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Right on point Cosmic. I had no choice to retire on a disability but NYS Workmans Compensation requires you to do a job search every so often. Go figure even with a 75% disability! Not computer literate, so I had the GF who is much younger set up everything Linkendin all kinds of sites went for interviews it was unbelievable upper management in khakis and polo shirts and sneakers. But I'm sure there is a You-Tube video to watch on your I-phone to prep you as you sit and wait to be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.