PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Well hello there,

I have been thinking and it brought me to put together this post. When I first started smoking again early last month, it was a video on the Breath Method by MuttonChopPiper and the pursuit of a "sweetbomb aromatic" (thanks RedCoatsReturn) that piqued my interest.

When I first tried to smoke a pipe around 8 years ago, I was met with several illusions. Namely, that pipe smoking could be summed up in the mechanics, and that flavors would manifest directly (Or, that nuance was just a word used by pipesmokers to sound cool). Well, I learned my lesson because it did not work that way for me. Let me start by saying that the mechanics of a pipe, pipe-smoking, and pipe maintenance are still very important areas to learn. However, when it comes to enjoying a pipe, it's not as formulated, for me at least. As I have now become more comfortable with my pipe, and am not as averse to the prospect of re-lights (perfectionism was a distraction for me), I have been able to focus a little more on enjoying.

I find that smoking a pipe is just as relaxing for me as when I decide to smoke it. At first, I would save my bowl for after work, as a way for me to decompress and gather my thoughts. As someone with anxiety, I can tell you that my pipe is like a balm for my nerves. Now, this is where the mechanics do come in. I try to maintain a relaxed cadence so as to keep my bowl warm, not stove hot. I taste the smoke by regular puffs, sips, and more than a few retro-hales. My aim is to coat my mouth and nasal cavity with the smoke to examine a wider array of flavors. Tasting the tobacco in this manner and monitoring my cadence is like a breathing exercise that just leaves me in a meditative state.

As for aromatics, I have not tried all aromatic blends; however, I have tried enough to glean the following. Flavors manifest differently in certain blends. Trying different blends and types of tobacco is the best way to understand the way flavors manifest. I say that to say that something as simple as vanilla, or chocolate will taste differently in each blend. When I came back, I had a tin of Sutliff Molto Dolce, and it was great. I followed it up with a tin of Peterson Sweet Killarney, and it was terrible :LOL: . For me, the reason was that I was smoking SK with the same cadence as I did with MD. Though I try to keep a slower cadence in general, I have learned that it can be tweaked for each blend just a little. Another mistake I made with SK was thinking that the caramel flavor would manifest the same as in MD. It didn't and it was a sign of progress for me to be able to appreciate that. Mind you, I had only done this after writing a bad review on this forum because I didn't understand the blend. I have tried several blends since, and I am able to approach each as unique. Not all will be for me, but each blend has it's worth to someone (or their preferences).

Simply put, pipe-smoking teaches me something new with each bowl. I am not an expert, these are my thoughts and experiences, and not an exhaustive guide to anyone. At most, I hope to provide a lens for people like me to look through and see a different perspective of this hobby. Have fun and happy puffing.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Well hello there,

I have been thinking and it brought me to put together this post. When I first started smoking again early last month, it was a video on the Breath Method by MuttonChopPiper and the pursuit of a "sweetbomb aromatic" (thanks RedCoatsReturn) that piqued my interest.

When I first tried to smoke a pipe around 8 years ago, I was met with several illusions. Namely, that pipe smoking could be summed up in the mechanics, and that flavors would manifest directly (Or, that nuance was just a word used by pipesmokers to sound cool). Well, I learned my lesson because it did not work that way for me. Let me start by saying that the mechanics of a pipe, pipe-smoking, and pipe maintenance are still very important areas to learn. However, when it comes to enjoying a pipe, it's not as formulated, for me at least. As I have now become more comfortable with my pipe, and am not as averse to the prospect of re-lights (perfectionism was a distraction for me), I have been able to focus a little more on enjoying.

I find that smoking a pipe is just as relaxing for me as when I decide to smoke it. At first, I would save my bowl for after work, as a way for me to decompress and gather my thoughts. As someone with anxiety, I can tell you that my pipe is like a balm for my nerves. Now, this is where the mechanics do come in. I try to maintain a relaxed cadence so as to keep my bowl warm, not stove hot. I taste the smoke by regular puffs, sips, and more than a few retro-hales. My aim is to coat my mouth and nasal cavity with the smoke to examine a wider array of flavors. Tasting the tobacco in this manner and monitoring my cadence is like a breathing exercise that just leaves me in a meditative state.

As for aromatics, I have not tried all aromatic blends; however, I have tried enough to glean the following. Flavors manifest differently in certain blends. Trying different blends and types of tobacco is the best way to understand the way flavors manifest. I say that to say that something as simple as vanilla, or chocolate will taste differently in each blend. When I came back, I had a tin of Sutliff Molto Dolce, and it was great. I followed it up with a tin of Peterson Sweet Killarney, and it was terrible :LOL: . For me, the reason was that I was smoking SK with the same cadence as I did with MD. Though I try to keep a slower cadence in general, I have learned that it can be tweaked for each blend just a little. Another mistake I made with SK was thinking that the caramel flavor would manifest the same as in MD. It didn't and it was a sign of progress for me to be able to appreciate that. Mind you, I had only done this after writing a bad review on this forum because I didn't understand the blend. I have tried several blends since, and I am able to approach each as unique. Not all will be for me, but each blend has it's worth to someone (or their preferences).

Simply put, pipe-smoking teaches me something new with each bowl. I am not an expert, these are my thoughts and experiences, and not an exhaustive guide to anyone. At most, I hope to provide a lens for people like me to look through and see a different perspective of this hobby. Have fun and happy puffing.
+1
No, seriously, +1. I had these exact same thoughts over the past 48 hrs but was either too lazy or inarticulate to post them. I concur wholeheartedly. It is a sign of "progression" for me.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Lawyer66 posted about a smoke on the beach, in the dark of night, enjoying his 1Q.

A memorable smoke for him. My point is that he enjoys 1Q.

The search for that “next tobacco” that hamster wheel called TAD never lets us get to know a single blend.

If you taste a blend that you instantly like, spend some time with it. You will soon master how that particular blend loads, and burns and tastes and will make a lifelong friend.

Jumping from tobacco to tobacco, you’re correct, they all behave differently, seldom finds the depth of relaxation that can be found with a non-distracting, auto pilot Smoke.

One of the hardest things to do, especially in 2020, is to relax.

Now PAD?

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Lawyer66 posted about a smoke on the beach, in the dark of night, enjoying his 1Q.

A memorable smoke for him. My point is that he enjoys 1Q.

The search for that “next tobacco” that hamster wheel called TAD never lets us get to know a single blend.

If you taste a blend that you instantly like, spend some time with it. You will soon master how that particular blend loads, and burns and tastes and will make a lifelong friend.

Jumping from tobacco to tobacco, you’re correct, they all behave differently, seldom finds the depth of relaxation that can be found with a non-distracting, auto pilot Smoke.

One of the hardest things to do, especially in 2020, is to relax.

Now PAD?

I have ordered 3 pipes in the last 2 weeks. It's a work in progress ?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have ordered 3 pipes in the last 2 weeks. It's a work in progress ?

I bought a neat basket pipe yesterday. I posted it in Pipe Talk.

And, my first Peterson has been delayed in the mail for 10 days! Was hoping to get it today for under the tree ?

It’s great when you are able to really enjoy a favorite blend or two and get off that wheel. Comfortable place to be.

Merry Christmas ?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
It's interesting reading other pipe smokers experiences.

At no point can I remember giving my smoking technique any thought whatsoever.
I guess I simply learnt what worked along the way.

It's been so long since I've had a 'bad' bowl that I couldn't remember when.

Learning to pack each cut of tobacco just so is the only thing I remember affecting the smoking experience.
Once that became second nature it's basically been smooth sailing since.

It's just occurred to me that some pipes give a better smoke than others.
If a pipe isn't up to scratch after I've smoked it with a few different genres, it does not make the rotation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do yourself a favor and forget about “methods”.
Amazingly, pipe smokers managed quite well without them for centuries.
Experiment. Just figure out how to simmer your tobacco while you slow sip it. To get there you’ll have to figure out the mechanics: moisture levels, packing, etc.