PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I recently went a little nuts and ordered an array of Va/Per/Bur/Or blends from C&D and wanted to share my experience. First, kudos to SmokingPipes for a very timely shipping experience. Second, kudos to C&D for an amazing group of tobaccos.

I have to confess that, for years, I've had a hit and miss relationship with C&D. No matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't attach to their Burley blends, which always seemed too harsh for my palate. Recently I had a fantastic smoking experience with Temple Bar and when I went to order a cellar's worth of that blend, I thought I might try and retry some other C&D offerings as well. So, in addition to TB, my order included:

Exhausted Rooster
Three Friars
Briar Fox
Bayou Morning Flake
Bijou
Bourbon Bleu
Sunday Picnic
Oak Alley

My plan was to open all the tins this week, smoke a bowl, and jar, in order to see what I liked, and then order more for the cellar. Problematically, I liked EVERY. SINGLE. BLEND. Some C&D fans will be thinking, "Why are you surprised?" But I was surprised and I'm so glad to have found an entire new list of blends, readily available, that make me love this hobby even more than I did before.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Excellent! I am a C&D fan, but I certainly can understand why some are less enthusiastic. Some great blends in that haul, and a few I need to try... Oak Alley is one of my absolute favorite blends in the world.

I'd also recommend Speakeasy. It is a mix of primarily Red VA, along with Dark-fired Kentucky, Katerini and Perique. I believe a bit of rum is added as a topping. I know they were using that stellar Red VA crop, the pre-2020 Carolina Red Flake stuff, but I am not sure if they still are or not... Anyway, I really liked Speakeasy, and thought it was an easy recommendation for those who like their Virginia blends on the stouter side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a big fan of C&D blends but have tried only one of the ones on your list, which illustrates what an expansive menu of blends they produce. I like Old Joe Krantz original, Billy Budd, Stratfordshire, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Riverboat Gambler, and a number of others. I received a sample of Briar Fox, but found it a little too mild, though I enjoy some mild blends. I'll be interested to hear what you think about your list of blends.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I recently went a little nuts and ordered an array of Va/Per/Bur/Or blends from C&D and wanted to share my experience. First, kudos to SmokingPipes for a very timely shipping experience. Second, kudos to C&D for an amazing group of tobaccos.

I have to confess that, for years, I've had a hit and miss relationship with C&D. No matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't attach to their Burley blends, which always seemed too harsh for my palate. Recently I had a fantastic smoking experience with Temple Bar and when I went to order a cellar's worth of that blend, I thought I might try and retry some other C&D offerings as well. So, in addition to TB, my order included:

Exhausted Rooster
Three Friars
Briar Fox
Bayou Morning Flake
Bijou
Bourbon Bleu
Sunday Picnic
Oak Alley

My plan was to open all the tins this week, smoke a bowl, and jar, in order to see what I liked, and then order more for the cellar. Problematically, I liked EVERY. SINGLE. BLEND. Some C&D fans will be thinking, "Why are you surprised?" But I was surprised and I'm so glad to have found an entire new list of blends, readily available, that make me love this hobby even more than I did before.
You sound like me. I’ve only ever really disliked one blend I ever smoked. Makes it difficult to cellar deep instead of wide. I do have quite a bit of C&D blends stashed away, but not many on your list. They have so many blends.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Update:

I REALLY like Bourbon Bleu and Exhausted Rooster. What I like about the BB is the combo of flavors and the crumble cake (for fun). What I like about the ER is the topping. I’m not an aro guy, and this isn’t an aro, but it tastes similar to the F&T Virginia line, to me. It’s a blend that takes a normal VA blend and makes it different. It stands out.

This experience has led to sore tongue :). But more uodates to come.

I will say that this experience has made me rethink the amount of tobacco I could stow away (C&D) compared to cellaring McClelland blends (which I’ve been focusing on).

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
The blends that are available as bulk are worth your perusal as well. Jars are something I try to keep on hand anyway, and the bulk is usually a little cheaper than the tins, so it saves a little money when cellaring a pound or five.
Bulk vs tins I've found the biggest differences in C&D. Every tin I've had (not that it's that many) has been somewhere between good and exceptional. The bulks were just as good, but dry as British humor. They rehydrate well, but that's still something you'll have to do before jarring. Or after cracking the jar. It's fine, the price difference is worth it. But it's still a step to take.

As always, YMMV.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Bulk vs tins I've found the biggest differences in C&D. Every tin I've had (not that it's that many) has been somewhere between good and exceptional. The bulks were just as good, but dry as British humor. They rehydrate well, but that's still something you'll have to do before jarring. Or after cracking the jar. It's fine, the price difference is worth it. But it's still a step to take.

As always, YMMV.
I prefer it like that. Takes up less space in the jar and I don’t have to wait on it to dry before smoking it. Same with D&R blends. But if more moisture is your preference, then the small amount of $$ savings mightn’t be worth the trouble of ordering bulk. Might as well stick with tins. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I prefer it like that. Takes up less space in the jar and I don’t have to wait on it to dry before smoking it. Same with D&R blends. But if more moisture is your preference, then the small amount of $$ savings mightn’t be worth the trouble of ordering bulk. Might as well stick with tins. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
I'm sorry. I never meant it to be a better/ worse than thing. Only different.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Hey man, no worries. I didn’t take it as a better/worse statement. It’s just a personal preference. C&D’s bulk does tend to be on the dry side, and not everyone is a fan of that. It’s all good ?
Hell, some bulks ive gotten from C&D have still been on the moist side. Enough for me to still want to dry it before I smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.