PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Seems like the European stores usually have fantastic selections of Peterson's and Castello's. A couple stores I've seen don't ship Castello's to the US; don't know why.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Just ordered my second new pipe in my life from Tobaccheria Corti. Got the last Sea Rock Briar KKKK Shape 55 for 199 euros. Hopefully it will get to the USA safely. Nice sponsor. Hoppes

Oct 7, 2016
Even Peterson sends pipes to them that I've never seen anywhere else.
Mario Lubinski, the Italian distributor for Peterson, has been intimately involved in their production decisions for years. Italy just might be their largest market. He is responsible for many Italy exclusive designs, as noted in some of the Peterson fan web sites.
Here is just one example

Oct 7, 2016
A couple stores I've seen don't ship Castello's to the US; don't know why.
The only shop with a web presence that I know of that won't ship Castellos to the US is Novelli. The owner of Novelli is also the official distributor for the US and of course sells to US retailers. He chooses not to compete with them

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Just received the new Castello I purchased. The price as well as their service was excellent, and I would not hesitate to buy from them in the future. Very pleased to have had them brought to my attention.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Same here. I ordered a pipe on Thursday night and it arrived today, Monday. Super fast service. Packaging was excellent.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
npod, would that be the Le Dune pipe you mentioned previously? It’s very nice. The Le Dune carving reminds me of Rich Lewis’s Armadillo finish.
I’ve also had great experiences with two other Italian shops in recent months and the prices, the service, and the incredibly fast shipping are blowing their US-based competition out of the water.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
It is like they get all the most beautiful, craggy blasted Peterson compared to non- Italy based vendors. I wonder if Mario Lubinski hand selects each individual pipe that goes into Italy, as I haven't heard anyone complain from a badly drilled or made Peterson from Italy.

Oct 7, 2016
I wonder if Mario Lubinski hand selects each individual pipe that goes into Italy, as I haven't heard anyone complain from a badly drilled or made Peterson from Italy.
More like they know what not to send him, but I have heard stories that he does examine the high grade smooths individually. His father was a shop owner and from at least the mid 70's on, they (later just Mario) were involved in pipe production. Most notably, they were the first distributor for Mastro de Paja. He has financed (and likely still does) briar costs for carvers whose products he distributes,and is a major player in wood and leather pipe and cigar accessories under his own name in Italy and any number of other brand names in other countries. He knows pipes. I would never try to get away with sending him anything but my best. If I were in the market for anything beyond an entry level Peterson, I would buy it from an Italian shop.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for this extra information oldgeezersmoker! Really interesting!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just bumping the thread because hoppes' new Castello 55 just arrived. See it here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-only-castello#post-1328045

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I ordered two pipes, each on different days, and both arrived in less than 5 days. Great packaging, extra goodies included in the box! Super easy transaction and my credit card was not put on alert due to EU purchase (unexpected perk).

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I have ordered online from a few Italian pipe shops. Most will deduct the IVA, value added tax, of about 17-18% during the purchase, and some will refund the tax after the purchase. Recently, however, I had one seller who refused to do either, which made the deal much less attractive. The Euro-USD exchange rate is pretty good these days too.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I bought two Castellos from them last year. Great pipes, excellent service, and very fast shipping. Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.