PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've been quite busy and behind on reviews, but a cobguy was nice enough to send me a sample of Semois--something I'd wanted to try for a while.
Bag Note / Preparation:

As soon as I opened the bag, I knew I'd enjoy this. It had an interesting aroma: like a Burley, but with a twist. I know it's renowned for coming dry, but I actually expected it to be more dry than it was. Quite a few of the Burley-heavy blends I've smoked come quite dry (Five Brother's, Daughter's & Ryan Picayune). This was probably about the same as those, maybe not even quite that dry.
Smoke:

Though technically a Burley, Semois certainly has its own flavor profile. It was like a Burley in that there is an unsweet nutty and woodsy flavor, but there is also the addition of some distinctly cigar-like flavor throughout. This renders it deeper and richer to my palate than your average Burley, which is something I really enjoy.

I was surprised by how smoothly this smoked. The other dry Burley's I mentioned above had an astringent quality to them that wasn't unpleasant, but certainly wasn't what I'd call "smooth." In contrast, the Semois had a delightfully smooth richness of flavor that I very much enjoyed.
The dryness of the tobacco helped this to smoke easily without relights, but it didn't burn too quickly. This isn't a flash-in-the-pan blend like Five Brothers; you can actually sit and enjoy a decently long bowl.
Nicotine:

I would label this as Medium-Strong to Strong. It was stronger in the nic department than I expected. It's hard to make comparisons, but I think this falls somewhere between Nightcap and Royal Yacht.
In Summary:

This is a delightful blend that everyone should try, just because it fits in that "misc." category, and as a result is difficult to describe, or get a sense from reviews. Even though I'd read quite a few reviews, the Semois was different than I expected (better), and I very much enjoyed it. Thank you, cobguy--I'll be placing a big-boy order soon. :)

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Sounds good. Coming from cigars to pipes was a little rocky, they're so different. This might be an excell!ent transition tobacco.
I won't pigeonhole it, though. I'll have to add it to my list!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Sounds good. Coming from cigars to pipes was a little rocky, they're so different. This might be an excell!ent transition tobacco.
I won't pigeonhole it, though. I'll have to add it to my list!
If you didn't like Billy Budd, I don't know that you'd like it. I wouldn't say the two blends are too close, but they are from a similar side of the spectrum.
"Cigar-like" and similar adjectives are useful for describing some types of pipe tobacco, but I wouldn't take the analogy too literally. In my experience, those looking to exactly duplicate the cigar experience in a pipe are often disappointed because they notice the differences more than the similarities.
I went from cigars to pipes and started with aromatics. I did eventually find my favorite blends to be strong, robust pipe blends, though I don't smoke latakia very often, and I prefer them to a strong cigar any day, but every palate is different.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cobguy is a great guy, he also sent me out a sample of this stuff along with DeathMetal, they both had different cuts. This has moved up in my top 5 favorites of all time... it's so damn good! It almost has a malty note to it and it totally satisfies my nicotine cravings.
Can't wait to try Le Petit Robin blend from the same company. It's been sold out since it hit the market.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Semois is my thing. I think burley is like lamb and liver and other foods that some like and others find revolting. In fact, some people generally can't taste much with burley, and others don't like it. One Forums member says Semois made him throw up. But I really like many burley blends and the Semois single-leaf most of all. Great stuff.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Semois is my thing. I think burley is like lamb and liver and other foods that some like and others find revolting. In fact, some people generally can't taste much with burley, and others don't like it. One Forums member says Semois made him throw up. But I really like many burley blends and the Semois single-leaf most of all. Great stuff.
I actually was not much of a Burley guy myself for a while. I don't try to let that affect my reviews of Burley blends too much, because I know a lot of people like the leaf and I don't want to give a blend a bad review just because I don't happen to like that taste. It'd be like giving a great white wine a bad review just because I preferred reds.
That said, Semois and a few other recent Burley acquisitions have changed my mind about Burley lacking flavor. Old Joe Krantz and Burley Flake No. 1 are full-bodied as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, C&D gave the old standby burley a whole new life and kind of remade its standing among blenders, I think. Semois came along and opened a whole new dimension on burley again. I read that article in The New York Times, and figured that was one I'd never get to try. But ah-ha, once I did, it was a whole new day.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That said, Semois and a few other recent Burley acquisitions have changed my mind about Burley lacking flavor. Old Joe Krantz and Burley Flake No. 1 are full-bodied as well.
Two favorites here, in addition to the Semois. Good all-day smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.