PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I was recently turned on to this by a fellow clubman, in fact a bunch of us pulled together and reached out to mr Vincent Manil in order to place a larger order with him. I am dying of curiosity, especially after reading this article.

I know jiminks played around with this for a bit, in fact I read his review of the Le Brumeuse. I ordered the finer cut, but I guess it's all the same as the man deals only with this single seed. I also ordered a few Boucherons, I guess the toscanello version of this Belgian varietal, that is especially made for smoking in a pipe. Any thoughts, guys, does anybody else have experience with this stuff?

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Boucherons seem to be very hard to find a source here in the U.S. would be curious to hear the differences between them and Semois, would imagine the cigar shape would impart a different kind of flavor. Have a pouch of the new Manil blend in the blue pouch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago, I saw a NYT article about Semois that was fascinating, but I figured I'd never see any of that. Then it popped up in the U.S. and a Forums member sent me a sample, and boy howdy, I was won over. You have to like burley. (Some can't taste it, some throw up, and some love the stuff.) My favorite is the thick cut, though the medium cut is nearly as good. The Petite Robin shag cut is a blend, while the others are single leaf. It comes extra dry, so it is a good buy by weight, though not inexpensive. If you like most burley, you will probably like this variant, though it is strong, with considerable nicotine. Sample some before you stock up. You could become a happy customer.

Reactions: Casual and madox07

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
but I figured I'd never see any of that.
I wonder why is that, I suppose that it has something to do with the draconian tobacco legislation over there. Not that ours is any better .. you don't want to know how much the prices for Samuel Gawith jumped since Brexit. Any road, how is Samuel Gawith in the US by the way, can one easily get it?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I wonder why is that, I suppose that it has something to do with the draconian tobacco legislation over there. Not that ours is any better .. you don't want to know how much the prices for Samuel Gawith jumped since Brexit. Any road, how is Samuel Gawith in the US by the way, can one easily get it?
It's usually all bought up when we get shipments

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's good, and quite unique. Very rich. I've been super curious about the bouchons myself. I recently tried the new La Volute extra thick cut, but it still seems to burn pretty fast, and seems to take more effort to get a good light. I prefer the medium La Brumeuse version, I think.

One interesting thing I have noticed about semois is that it will absolutely ghost the shit out of a pipe worse than any other tobacco I have smoked. It's no big deal, because it smokes out quickly, but I can always taste semois for a few bowls after I smoke it in a given pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's good, and quite unique. Very rich. I've been super curious about the bouchons myself. I recently tried the new La Volute extra thick cut, but it still seems to burn pretty fast, and seems to take more effort to get a good light. I prefer the medium La Brumeuse version, I think.

One interesting thing I have noticed about semois is that it will absolutely ghost the shit out of a pipe worse than any other tobacco I have smoked. It's no big deal, because it smokes out quickly, but I can always taste semois for a few bowls after I smoke it in a given pipe.
I spent several months smoking nothing but semois out of one of my pipes and what shocked me was that the ghost actually went away pretty fast.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah it disappears quickly, but as someone who rarely notices ghosts, it surprised me that this relatively plain tobacco would leave one at all. Maybe it's because it is so distinctive tasting?
yeah it's plain but pretty strong tasting. One of the things I find so weird about this one is how it has blunt strong flavors that mingle with subtle florals and licorice nuances. It really does taste like a blend not a single leaf. There really is some magic going on in the Ardennes.

Status
Not open for further replies.