PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I understand that this variety of Latakia is all but extinct, but I don't get as to why that is. Other than the destruction in that region, why is that strain of Latakia not planted and cultivated in other areas.
In the cigar world, it is common, for example, to take Cuban seed and plant in other cigar producing countries. Now, the resulting tobacco is not exactly the same, but still...it is available. It would be quite interesting to see how the Syrian strain produced in other areas would compare to Cyprian. Seems like if that were successfully pulled off, a company / blender would have the ultimately sought after current pipe blends around. If nothing else, it would be a killer piece of marketing - Limited Edition, etc. !

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
The seed is not the most important part of it. It is the processing. This has been reproduced in Cypress, with great success. But you can only get so close.
So, why has no-one listed 'Syrian Seed' Latakia on the Tobacco ingredients? Seems like it would certainly garner a lot of interest. I would jump in, just out of curiosity.
Maybe Russ might consider this, as he is one of the blenders that definitely thinks outside the conventional box!
Also, I cannot see where any processing materials, outside of the Syrian tobacco itself that would impact availability.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
So, why has no-one listed 'Syrian Seed' Latakia on the Tobacco ingredients? Seems like it would certainly garner a lot of interest. I would jump in, just out of curiosity.
Maybe Russ might consider this, as he is one of the blenders that definitely thinks outside the conventional box!
Also, I cannot see where any processing materials, outside of the Syrian tobacco itself that would impact availability.
As far as I know, which is very little, the trees that provided the specific wood used to fire cure the latakia was made illegal to use by the government. That along with all of the civil unrest means I don't think it's a top priority over there anymore.

Last edited:

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I believe it is the materials used in the process of making Syrian Latakia that has been harvested to near extinction.
I would also think that with all the turmoil, death, destruction of life, bombing of cities, etc....the processing of some specialized niche-tobacco leaf might be the last things Syrians are worried about. Maybe the regions where the tobacco was grown processed, and those people who knew how to do it...no longer exists.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
As stated above, it is the processing and not just the genetics itself. Plus, in the cigar world, we've seen how much "Cuban-seed" actually means (i.e.: nothing whatsoever). More than most plants, tobacco is incredibly sensitive to soil composition, which is why cigars rolled with "Cuban seed" never taste like a Cuban cigar.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
As stated above, it is the processing and not just the genetics itself. Plus, in the cigar world, we've seen how much "Cuban-seed" actually means (i.e.: nothing whatsoever). More than most plants, tobacco is incredibly sensitive to soil composition, which is why cigars rolled with "Cuban seed" never taste like a Cuban cigar.
For proof of this, look no further than Semois. Burley grown in that specific region tastes totally unique.

Reactions: fightnhampster

64alex

May 10, 2016
[ For proof of this, look no further than Semois. Burley grown in that specific region tastes totally unique. ]

Or as another proof consider Perique which is only coming out from few acres on St. James parish and cannot replicated anywhere else.
For Syrian Latakia it is even more difficult because not only the tobacco but also the wood used for processing has to be specific of that region. The closer to Syrian Latakia is still the Cyprian one which is still different, that's it. And also consider the Syrian Latakia tin you can find in the aftermarket are different from what was the original Latakia as the leaf is of the 70'/80' and so in part change their character.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
There is still Syrian grown tobacco. There are still farms producing the oriental leaf that gets made into Latakia. However it's doesn't taste like the Syrian latakia everyone cares about. The leaf coming out of Syria gets processed in Cypress and is cured and smoked using different wood and tastes just like conventional cyprian latakia. As Casual mentioned, it doesn't have to do with the seed, it has to do with the way Syrian leaf used to be processed--which is no longer possible due to environmental laws.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
from my understanding a big part of it is that farmers in the region make much more money growing other plants such as food crops. So why bother when it takes more labor for significantly lower returns. And also it can't be replicated because like everyone says it's a process that involves local plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.