PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Made a trip to Ohio yesterday and on the way back I stopped in a cigarette shop to buy the wife some smokes. I saw a small rake of pipe tobacco and they had a small package of SWR aro. After hearing Mai talking about it I have wanted to try it but didn’t want to buy a whole tub. I was very impressed I usually don’t like aro’s but this stuff is amazing great flavor very subtle. Now I have to get a tub or 3

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Made a trip to Ohio yesterday and on the way back I stopped in a cigarette shop to buy the wife some smokes. I saw a small rake of pipe tobacco and they had a small package of SWR aro. After hearing Mai talking about it I have wanted to try it but didn’t want to buy a whole tub. I was very impressed I usually don’t like aro’s but this stuff is amazing great flavor very subtle. Now I have to get a tub or 3

Its been about the only aromatic blend I don't soon become bored with. I was smoking some last night while the local kids came by for candy and, it was my morning pipe today.

Mike S.

:LOL: - You guys may have just helped me decide what to start my day with. Love the stuff.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I was milling around a local strip mall tobacco shop a couple years ago and ended up getting a tub of this. The only one they had was all dusty with a faded label. I posted the date code on here for someone to let me know what it was. Turns out, it was Aug 2011. I broke it down into small jars and pull it out once in a while. It does smell really good - tin and room.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am totally impressed with SWRA. Despite its authentic codger blend credentials, it is simultaneously one of the most refined and best burning aromatics in distribution. It is burley based, with an exacting proportion of Virginia as a condiment tobacco, and flavored with three -- count them, three -- liqueurs. You don't get much more nuanced and calibrated than that at three times the price. I'm in.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've smoked it off and on for 36 years. They changed the formula from the '80s, '90s version a little, but it's a very pleasant smoke. I used to occasionally get a catch in my throat when I smoked it. That doesn't happen anymore. Even still, I highly recommend it. I should. I have nine tubs of it.

Here's my review of it:
The moderately molasses sweet, nutty, woody, fairly chocolately, earthy, spicy, slightly bitter burleys take the lead over the grassy, tart and tangy citrusy, rather hay-like, slightly floral Virginias. The Dutch and French liqueur toppings are difficult to define (I notice anise, hazelnut and chocolate), and while they tone down the tobaccos, they also work well in concert with them to provide a very consistent flavor from start to finish. The strength and nic-hit levels are in the center of mild to medium. The taste level is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. It might burn a little warm if you are a very fast puffer so I suggest a moderate cadence. I have never experienced tongue bite from it. It does burn at slightly more than an average pace, but even and clean with few relights, and just a little dampness left in the bowl. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and room note. Performs well in repeat performances, and is an all day smoke. It won't ghost your pipe. And, btw, when you open a tub of it for the first time, the smell is wonderful!

Edit 6-28-2020: I have smoked this blend off and on since the mid-80s. About ten years or so ago, I noticed the chocolate flavor was a little stronger than it had been in all the previous years I had smoked it, and the tobacco is a hair less obvious than it used to be as a result. I also observe that it's a tad more spicy, and I am being to suspect there's a pinch of dark fired in the mix. It's still a four star blend, but I thought I'd note the change for the historical record.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
SWRA is a great Codger blend. A smaller pouch is always a good idea for unknown tobacco to see if you like it or not. Many of the OTC blends seem to be love or hate with most people. I'm in the love camp for sure and have yet to try one that is garbage (haven't tried Borkum Riff or most CB blends yet) which hopefully will stay that way:)

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I love SWRA. It's a mildly aromatic tobacco that burns just right for me without ever getting hot or biting or having to relight often. I don't taste the incredibly complicated intricacies and hints of this and that, that Jiminks does but that's not new. I can verify that it's a great blend worth trying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SWRA surprised me. I wondered why it costs somewhat more than the Regular SWR, and it was clear why on the first bowl. The specifics are that it is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and it is flavored with three liqueurs, which is a staggering thought for a OTC codger blend. It is tobacco-forward in the best sense, with the flavorings singing harmony to the leaf itself. I have an unopened tin on hand in my small unruly stash, and I am looking forward to it again.