PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithDisDane

Lurker
Dec 28, 2019
So I made my most expensive pipe purchase to date and done bought myself a sandblasted Neerup churchwarden estate off smokingpipes.

I love it but I feel like the busy colored acrylic stem clashes with the pipe itself- I don't have anything against colored stems, but in this case I feel like it detracts from the pipe.

So while taking a look at one of my cheap Roma Churchwardens, I thought to myself, hey, just maybe, and lo and behold, the stems switched out decently.

I like the way my Neerup looks with the plain black stem and I like the way my Roma looks with the fancier acrylic stem.

The Roma tenon seemed slightly bigger, but fit in just fine, and smoked just fine with my morning coffee- I haven't tried the inverse yet.

Is this a win-win? Do I have to worry about the larger tenon damaging the shank on my Neerup?

And also, how do you think they look? Was my Neerup just better off with the original stem anyway?

Sorry for my hastily taken photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 48
  • EIA_1771.JPG
    EIA_1771.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 43
  • EIA_1770.JPG
    EIA_1770.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 46
  • EIA_1769.JPG
    EIA_1769.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 44

WithDisDane

Lurker
Dec 28, 2019
Well, honestly, since I prefer this one, that doesn't worry too much. I'm okay to have it be a permanent switch. I more just worry about creating a fissure or something, although it seems to fit well enough that I think the risk of that is pretty low.

Thanks for the input.

Has anybody here done a similar switcheroo before?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I saw somewhere on one of the pipe related retail sites that you could buy replacement stems for churchwardens for under $10, maybe investigate that route also?

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Personally I've always liked the marble colored stems especially on a nice pipe like that neerup. It just gives it that extra little something, the fancier stem for the fancier pipe. But ask 10 people about pipe or tobacco preferences and you'll get 10 different answers, so go with whatever makes you happy.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I am interested in this topic as well. My son gave me a Savinelli churchwarden 901 for Christmas and I have come to like the oval bowl. I would like to have a much shorter stem to have as an alternate "pocket pipe" option. However, I'm not sure how to go about purchasing one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am interested in this topic as well. My son gave me a Savinelli churchwarden 901 for Christmas and I have come to like the oval bowl. I would like to have a much shorter stem to have as an alternate "pocket pipe" option. However, I'm not sure how to go about purchasing one.
Contact Laudasi. They have Savinelli replacement stems for $40.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
Thank you!

I'll try that ASAP.

Thank you! I'll try that ASAP.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's an incredible piece of luck to have the stems switch out this well, though it's true they may not wear well in the long run. Personally, I tend to trust the pipe makers and have found that the original design grows on me when it seems a little off at first. But if you are happy with the swap, and willing to take chances on how they last, it's a real piece of luck, and pretty unusual. Congratulations on that!

WithDisDane

Lurker
Dec 28, 2019
Yeah you know when I actually took a moment to compare the size of the tenons, they were really almost exactly the same. One was just a bit longer than the other. But after sitting with it for a while, I'm starting to get used to the colored acrylic stem after all and I'm thinking of using it anyway, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.