PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Since I always sit outside when I smoke, I start my pipes inside our storage room using swan Vestas and then after that, it’s probably my zippo since there’s always a breeze in my backyard in San Francisco.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I liked Swann Vesta when you could strike them on any surface or person! I hear they are now what is known as a 'Safety Match' and will only light on the boxes strike pad. A further step down the road to the infantilism of the U.K!
Hear Hear! It ain’t just the UK. Imagine a world where cars auto brake and park themselves. Sometimes you learn physics the hard way. Being indemnified from your own ignorance or folly is collective insanity. Same with matches!

• Love
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
How to make your own strike anywhere matches.
  1. Mix potassium chlorate and Elmer's glue into a stiff paste. This is your "fuel."
  2. Roll the stick ends in the paste. Bake them at 150°F for about two hours.
  3. Dip the baked head in a mixture of red phosphorus and glue. This is your igniter.
  4. Another round of baking, and the strike-anywhere matches are ready to burn.
  5. Run the match down any abrasive surface and they will ignite.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
  1. Mix potassium chlorate and Elmer's glue into a stiff paste. This is your "fuel."
  3. Dip the baked head in a mixture of red phosphorus and glue. This is your igniter.
I’m way too lazy. More power to ya, Cosmic!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018

Now that I think about it, didn't you have a very brief cameo appearance in "Breaking Bad"?

I’m way too lazy. More power to ya, Cosmic!
The irony is that you can buy a bag of red phosphorus and a bag of potassium chlorate from Amazon, and they will ship them in the same box. But, they will not ship you strike anywhere matches. The box with two bags is more likely to explode than a box with some matches in it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The irony is that you can buy a bag of red phosphorus and a bag of potassium chlorate from Amazon, and they will ship them in the same box. But, they will not ship you strike anywhere matches. The box with two bags is more likely to explode than a box with some matches in it.
We should have a whole separate thread on irony, it would hit 150 pages in as many hours....

I have made them once, but it was more of an experiment. But, it's really not that unsafe. I mean, you can skip the drying in the oven part if that weirds you out, but it's no more risky than walking around with a box of strike anywhere in your pocket... and just how many people have ever really gotten hurt from a box of matches? I bet more people have accidentally tripped and driven a glass beer bottle through the back of their head than been killed by a box of matches. puffy

OK, ok, so my humor is getting dark... thanks chasingembers. I blame you for that. puffy

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I have made them once, but it was more of an experiment. But, it's really not that unsafe. I mean, you can skip the drying in the oven part if that weirds you out, but it's no more risky than walking around with a box of strike anywhere in your pocket... and just how many people have ever really gotten hurt from a box of matches? I bet more people have accidentally tripped and driven a glass beer bottle through the back of their head than been killed by a box of matches. puffy

OK, ok, so my humor is getting dark... thanks chasingembers. I blame you for that. puffy
My dad severely burnt his leg when he was a young boy because he had a pocket full of strike anywhere matches that ignited when he ran. As my grandfather often said "pain is the greatest teacher."