PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If we're going to be historically accurate, the shape originated in France and Dunhill "appropriated" the Genod version for its LC. If you're going to steal, steal from the best.

Your pipe is a version of a swans neck.

I recently picked up a beautiful rendition from the late 19th/early 20th century that was made by some long forgotten maker in St Claude.

Mar 25, 2022
Austria
If we're going to be historically accurate, the shape originated in France and Dunhill "appropriated" the Genod version for its LC. If you're going to steal, steal from the best.

I recently picked up a beautiful rendition from the late 19th/early 20th century that was made by some long forgotten maker in St Claude.
Very interesting, thanks for the info, I haven’t bought the pipe yet, but now I will ?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Sablebrush52, If you know, Is there a particular length or size the pipe must be to be considered a swan neck or is it only that shape ? I ask because I have a pipe i thought was a 1/2 bent billiard but seeing these pictures I now think it may be a swan neck. Its has a very large bowl (20mmx55mm) but has that sharp drop to the bend low on the bowl and sweeping curve and flat straight end to the button. Its a little longer than my Savinelli 2614 Dry System. I don't have a picture at the moment or would post one.

Reactions: Ronv69 and jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very nice pipe. I have an Albertson that might be a swan neck, but before I claim it to be, would you consider this to be a swan neck?View attachment 136450
Sort of, because of the "s" curve that encompasses the shank and the stem. It would be a definite yes were the curve more pronounced. It is a beautiful pipe.