PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just snapped this up off of the 'bay. I have always admired this shape, as well as the "swan". This one is stamped "Handicraft of Copenhagen". I think Sven produced pipes for W.O. Larsen, who in turn provided pipes for Remo Sorensen's shop............. I know little about these Danish pipes and lineages, I'm (generally) an old Brit-wood guy, but knowing I'll never get a Dunhill LC, this one will fill that void..........
I know this a Sven Knudsen design, but how likely is it that it was carved by him?
These are the seller's pics, I don't have the pipe in hand. I love the delicate blast on this, and the shape is wonderful.
Told myself NO MORE PIPES, and just like that, a moment of weakness............ :oops:
mE4iy2b.jpg

SslHGGs.jpg

Vbsg8ix.jpg

WvZQUAE.jpg

Here's the page out of W.O. Larsen's catalog:
m5eN8aP.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I know this a Sven Knudsen design, but how likely is it that it was carved by him?
I would say, very likely, and also, if I had to make a best guess, that the pipe dates from the period 1961~63. The catalog image in your post is from PipeDan, for Larsen the pipe was shape 75. Look closely at the two catalog images, and your new pipe, especially at the transition. It's very illustrative of the small variations one sees in these hand made pipes, designed and made by Sven Knudsen.
larsen75-600x420.png

Two more things, I think you will be very impressed when you have the pipe in hand, and surprised by its light weight, my guess would be in the 30-35g range.
:)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Look closely at the two catalog images, and your new pipe, especially at the transition. It's very illustrative of the small variations one sees in these hand made pipes, designed and made by Sven Knudsen.
I was editing and was timed out.
Look closely at the two catalog images, and your new pipe, especially at the transition, and the curve from the transition to the rim. It's very illustrative of the small, subtle variations one sees in these hand made pipes, designed and made by Sven Knudsen; and also when Former took over at Larsen. Two Larsen Copenhagen 48's for example,
larsen48-028-600x450.jpg

larsen48-010-600x450.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks Fellas! I can't wait to get this in hand.

Bradley, I really like that loon, one of a kind!
Dave, thanks for the information........ You are correct about the catalog, I was looking at both of them and thought the one I posted was Larsen's..... :oops:
I was hoping you would chime in here, I know you are knowledgeable about the Danish school, and Larsens in particular.

I was thinking(Hoping?) this was a Sven pipe too, my guess was 1959-1963 period, based on what I could dig up on the interwebs.
It also appears that it has another word under "Copenhagen"..... looks like "Bruyere"????

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It also appears that it has another word under "Copenhagen"..... looks like "Bruyere"????
I'd be very interested on your report back on this. Could be a word, or a word and a shape number. I'm maybe seeing 75 near the shank/stem join.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Not a fan of this shape at all. It reminds me too much of a Belge where the walls of the pipe are very thin at the front. My only experience with a Belge was that I had to really concentrate on smoking slowly or the pipe would get way too hot. I don't want to have to think about my cadence when smoking so that is a shape I have crossed off my list to ever own again.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The "Duck" may not be very smokeable, and it is likely to heavy, but I find it both graceful and interesting, with a fine blast.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
...and it is likely to heavy...
Likely not, I have quite a few Larsen pipes from the period, and they are all very light in weight. My guess would be in the 30-35g range.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The "Duck" may not be very smokeable, and it is likely to heavy,

You're right, these old things smoke terrible, and damn near break my teeth when clenching them.......... "move along, nothing to see here folks, keep moving............ that's right!!"................ :D
Honestly I've never smoked a duck, er, well I HAVE smoked a duck, but not one made of briar and vulcanite, mine was made of flesh and feathers.........
I've been smitten by the shape for a long time, pure artistic genius if you ask me.......... :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have quite a few Larsen pipes from the period, and they are all very light in weight.
I could also say the same thing about Celius, I picked up one of mine to smoke when this thread was first posted the other night.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well the Duck arrived today, what a journey........... Chicago to Pittsburgh to Cincinnati to Indianapolis to Columbus...... The Post Office is crazy this time of year.........
I am very impressed with this pipe, it just has a "feel" to it, hard to describe. The chamber is sound, and no toothmarks to speak of. Someone took good care of this one.
Dave, the wording reads:

Handicraft of

Copenhagen

Genuine Bruyere
You were spot on regarding the weight: 34 grams.
Hard to photograph the nomenclature, its a bit faint:
9hD2Y9a.jpg

There is no shape number.

Status
Not open for further replies.