PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I’m starting to dip my toes in home blending after enjoying mixing some existing blends.

Sutliff and Cornell & Diehl both seem to have readily available mixing components, so that seems the simplest way to get started.

I was wondering what folk with experience think of their offerings and how they compare.

Reactions: kurtbob
To me they are quite different. Sutliff seems to treat their tobacco more than C&D. Sutliff has a casing applied that I can detect slightly but C&D seems more raw. I use both and also some of the Kendal shags as well.
I was going to say the same thing about the Sutliff casings. I think it is a proprietary thing for them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are two of my favorite blenders, but for doing my own mixes (I say, rather than blending, since I don't use pressure, an oven, or any calculated aging) I prefer C&D, which as the previous posters suggest, are a little more unprocessed. I like their Latakia, Perique, cigar leaf, Izmir, and other condimental tobaccos, plus their single leaf Virgnias and burleys, and unflavored black Cavendish. Nonetheless, I have used Sutliff leaf for mixes and it did just fine, but I feel I have less control.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can't say I've noticed a huge difference in casing amounts between the two, just in matters of quality, in which I favor Sutliff, but both offer some good blending options. Almost all commercial tobacco is cased to improve flavor.

You could also go the whole leaf route, where you'll get to do your own casing and get to have more of a say in the result.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Thank you very much everyone for your input! It sounds like C&D might be a good route to go if you plan to work more with your own casings and perhaps Sutliff if you don’t.

It’d be an interesting experiment to try to make the same blend using both of their respective versions of the components to compare the results.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I believe that the Perique from C&D is now 100% St James Perique from one family farm that they have a contract with. I remember watching a video with Jeremy Reeves where he was saying that any C&D product will now have 100% St James Perique from this farm, including the blending Perique.

Just about any other Perique available in bulk is going to be Acadian Perique, which is tobacco that is grown outside of St James Parish but is processed in the "Perique" style.

Not saying that one is better than the other, just worth mentioning. I've found that St James Perique tends to have more nuance and complexity and isn't just spice and pepper and prunes that other Periques tend to have sometimes.

Plus, I like the idea of supporting a small family farm that is trying to keep Perique tradition alive in Louisiana.

Cheers!

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I remember watching a video with Jeremy Reeves where he was saying that any C&D product will now have 100% St James Perique from this farm, including the blending Perique.
Oh, interesting. I remember Jeremy Reeves announcing this in their release videos for those blends, but I had not realized he said it included their blending components. I’d actually been wondering about exactly that. I’ll go back and watch their announcement videos again. That’s cool!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Oh, interesting. I remember Jeremy Reeves announcing this in their release videos for those blends, but I had not realized he said it included their blending components. I’d actually been wondering about exactly that. I’ll go back and watch their announcement videos again. That’s cool!
I think it might be the release video for Anthology where he talks about it. I'm not sure if he specifically mentions the blending Perique, but he did say that any C&D product containing Perique would include this new one, so I would assume that includes the bulk stuff.

That being said, they are out of the blending Perique at the moment.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I think it might be the release video for Anthology where he talks about it. I'm not sure if he specifically mentions the blending Perique, but he did say that any C&D product containing Perique would include this new one, so I would assume that includes the bulk stuff.
Ah, I see. I did see that video but did not draw the same conclusion regarding their individual blending components since he didn’t mention it explicitly. It would make sense, though, if that’s their only source now and I hope it is the case.

Reactions: pipingfool

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Can't say I've noticed a huge difference in casing amounts between the two, just in matters of quality, in which I favor Sutliff, but both offer some good blending options.
May I ask, where do you find to be the best retailer for the Sutliff blending components?

From what I can find, SPC seems to have limited Sutliff blending components.

Tobaccopipes.com looks to have more, but different, Sutliff blending components. It looks as though they have Maryland too, which I’ve never tried and would like to.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
May I ask, where do you find to be the best retailer for the Sutliff blending components?

From what I can find, SPC seems to have limited Sutliff blending components.

Tobaccopipes.com looks to have more, but different, Sutliff blending components. It looks as though they have Maryland too, which I’ve never tried and would like to.
Sutliff owns Tobaccopipes so they would be more likely to have the range of Sutliff blending tobaccos.