PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
So, after having smoked this blend for about a week I feel like I can write an honest review about it.

It's supposedly an English mix, but it doesn't have any Orientals so, not sure what's up with that. There is some other stuff in there too, but it's got Latakia. Waaaay too much of it (if you hate Latakia, if you love it then there isn't enough). They say it's broken flake but it's really not chunky and awesome like how you want broken flake to be. It doesn't pack well at all no matter how you try and I had to use a toaster oven to get it to stay lit. When I did get it lit it tasted like that time Grandma burned the tuna casserole because she had to take time out to spank you for stealing cookies. It's just not a good time. I still had to eat the casserole. I don't have to keep smoking this junk though and you don't have to either.

Sutliff Voodoo Queen. Pretty awful, don't buy it at all. It's not a great medley of flavors that entice the senses and make you want to smoke it all day for a week. Just leave it on the shelf at smokingpipes.com and I'll come by later and get rid of it.

it tasted like that time Grandma burned the tuna casserole
It is unusual how burned fish or seafood keeps coming up when talking about latakia lately. I never got that.

I did like Voodoo Queen back when I was just getting into Englishes, but the keener my tastes got, the less I desired this one. But, I do remember liking the amount of latakia, but I was there for the perique.

Nice review. Keep 'em coming.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I recently smoked some of this I bought in 2013.

It did not seem like there was latakia in in.

Mine had large chunks of broken flake and a nice topping, also it seemed like there was some perique.

I enjoyed it and will smoke my remaining stash.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I got some bulk about a year and a half ago and mine was like @sallow 's. A little loose latakia and perique tossed in with slightly broken flakes. The flake component was delicious with a subtle raspberry and cream topping and maybe a hint of coffee or cocoa.
I did some research and found out it's based on Sutliff Mocha Strips, but I can't find those for sale anywhere online. Some forum members say they've found it in B&Ms.
I think I might would like the Mocha Strips better solo, but I liked Voodoo Queen well enough. Still, I wouldn't stock up my cellar, or even repurchase it, but I've certainly paid more for worse blends.
It sounds like you just got stuck with the crumbs from the bottom of the bag...

Reactions: OneGoodBulldog
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I bought 2oz last year. I smoked two bowls and didn't enjoy it. I got a sickly milk chocolate scent and flavor.
The whole blend seemed really disjointed. Like a bunch of stuff thrown together that really didn't work well together. I jarred it all to see if some time will help it settle into itself. I haven't really had the desire to go back and see though.
Maybe I'll try some tonight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried Voodoo Queen, but I have sometimes wondered what is so voodoo about it. To live up to the name, it seems it needs some unique condimental tobacco if not flavoring. At best it sounds so-so. This review does not make the blend enticing.

Reactions: OneGoodBulldog

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
It's supposedly an English mix, but it doesn't have any Orientals so, not sure what's up with that. There is some other stuff in there too, but it's got Latakia. Waaaay too much of it (if you hate Latakia, if you love it then there isn't enough).
I bought 4oz of this off the review. I completely agree about the Latakia.
Now I understand why it's called Voodoo. ?

It is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.