PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Sutliff Dulce de Leche is an aromatic I'd never previously tried. After thoroughly enjoying a couple ounces of it I thought I'd put in a good word since I see it seldom mentioned.

It's a bulk Burley/Virginia blend with a caramel/vanilla topping/casing. It arrived quite dry as a chopped ribbon cut quite similar to OTC's like Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Pouch note was fairly subtle with caramel predominant. Easy to gravity fill to over the top of the bowl's rim with a slight push with my thumb to get it below the rim.

A second flame after a charring light was all it took to really get going & from that point on smoked like a dream with minimal relights. Easy to smoke to the bottom of the bowl & left no goop at the bottom. The caramel definitely came through taste-wise over the vanilla but both were quite subtle & for me didn't overwhelm the taste of the underlying tobaccos. Left a wonderful room note.

There was a consistent thought every time I'd smoke a bowlful - this stuff is just so darned pleasant. For some reason it is very reminiscent of The Country Squire's Figgy Pudding, another aromatic that is just darned pleasant.

I'd mainly seen Dulce de Leche mentioned as similar to Sutliff's Molto Dolce & Creme Brulee, but it's way less topped/cased & dramatically drier. Very flavorful without the snack, crackle, & pop of the two.

Highly recommended.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There was a consistent thought every time I'd smoke a bowlful - this stuff is just so darned pleasant. For some reason it is very reminiscent of The Country Squire's Figgy Pudding, another aromatic that is just darned pleasant.

I'd mainly seen Dulce de Leche mentioned as similar to Sutliff's Molto Dolce & Creme Brulee, but it's way less topped/cased & dramatically drier. Very flavorful without the snack, crackle, & pop of the two.

Highly recommended.

It very well could be the same thing. Thanks for the review.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Sutliff Dulce de Leche is an aromatic I'd never previously tried. After thoroughly enjoying a couple ounces of it I thought I'd put in a good word since I see it seldom mentioned.

It's a bulk Burley/Virginia blend with a caramel/vanilla topping/casing. It arrived quite dry as a chopped ribbon cut quite similar to OTC's like Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Pouch note was fairly subtle with caramel predominant. Easy to gravity fill to over the top of the bowl's rim with a slight push with my thumb to get it below the rim.

A second flame after a charring light was all it took to really get going & from that point on smoked like a dream with minimal relights. Easy to smoke to the bottom of the bowl & left no goop at the bottom. The caramel definitely came through taste-wise over the vanilla but both were quite subtle & for me didn't overwhelm the taste of the underlying tobaccos. Left a wonderful room note.

Highly recommended.
I previously heard Dulce de Leche was the bulk version of Molto Dolce. I'm happy to hear it is less noisy than the tinned version.

How would you compare the taste? Molto has an odd flavor to me that I can't get past (almost like new cae smell).

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I previously heard Dulce de Leche was the bulk version of Molto Dolce. I'm happy to hear it is less noisy than the tinned version.

How would you compare the taste? Molto has an odd flavor to me that I can't get past (almost like new cae smell).

To me the bulk equivalent of Molto Dolce is Creme Brulee. Dulce de Leche is a totally different animal. While all three of these tobaccos have a caramel/vanilla topping/casing, Dulce de Leche is much more subtle & it doesn't have the significantly sweetening honey topping as do the other two.

Molto Dolce is MUCH sweeter than Dulce de Leche. It’s also sopping wet in the tin. I should throw it in a press just to see how much topping comes out. Probably similar to wringing out a wet t-shirt?

My serious sweet tooth is really tickled by Molto Dolce. No matter how much I've tried to significantly dry it, it tastes the same & still snap, crackles, & pops like friggin' Rice Krispies whenever I spark up a bowlful!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Have not tried Dulce de Leche but sounds like an aro that I'd like.
Thanks for the recommendation. puffy

I'm not a fan of moist goopy aromatics but there is one exception; Vanilla Custard.
It's got a really nice flavour but it's so sticky, I mix it at least 50/50 with a straight Virginia or VaBur blend [Windsail Virginia is rather dry so that's my preferred mixer]

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Dulce is really a solid aromatic, here was my assessment

Mimicking the dessert-like enticement of a Crème Brulee, Dulce De Leche stand as one of most flavorful blends that I have yet to encounter from Sutliff’s vast collection of aromatics. Much like the epicurean confection of note, a dark baked milky caramel brilliance projects forward as the leading taste of this mixture’s foremost character. This sweet buttery concentration celebrates richly in its presentation as a gentle top note of vanilla and cocoanut help form the complete delish registration. On the bottom the native tobaccos report with a subdued but notable touch of light toasted sugary nut and spicy tart grass/wood. Where’s the churro for delightful dipping is what I want to know?

• Love
Reactions: beefeater33