PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1664492293318.png

"Black Cavendish, Aged Virginias and White Burley are blended together in a unique fashion, topped with spices." - Sutliff

I'm almost always a fan of Sutliff Private Stock deliveries, usually unique, high quality, and well-crafted; this is no exception.

Cracking the can greets with chocolate and vanilla wafting, which is confusing (did they put in the right stuff here? Is this Dark and Silky?). Packed my Peterson Dracula 999, dedicated to Balkans, and gave it a go..

Smooth flavors of Burley and wood-infused Virginia come through, and then nutmeg up front with cumin and paprika, along with a complex combination of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, touch of aniseed, hint of sesame seed oil, and saffron powder distant. The aniseed reminded me of Latakia a bit.

Reminds me of the complexity of Sasieni Balkan with its exotic depth, but a bit backwards, where the Sasieni Balkan has those spices waaaay back as an after-taste, this has the spices way up front instead.

Nice and exotic flavor without being overpowering. If you like Balkans, you'll probably also like this, but the Cavendish smooths it out significantly.

Recommended.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
This was a great review, well written and concise.

A thread on Spez had a pretty interesting take on this blend. They were disappointed in the level of "spice" in the tobacco and left a sachet of various spices in the jar with the leaf for a month. Apparently it did actually infuse into the leaf a little bit and up the spice factor.

Reactions: chopper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This was a great review, well written and concise.

A thread on Spez had a pretty interesting take on this blend. They were disappointed in the level of "spice" in the tobacco and left a sachet of various spices in the jar with the leaf for a month. Apparently it did actually infuse into the leaf a little bit and up the spice factor.
@JimInks

It wouldn't surprise me if this is tinned Black Spice the way Barbados Plantation is tinned Queen Anne's Revenge and Molto Dolce is tinned Creme Brulee.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
@JimInks

It wouldn't surprise me if this is tinned Black Spice the way Barbados Plantation is tinned Queen Anne's Revenge and Molto Dolce is tinned Creme Brulee.
You're right. I think Barbados Plantation is QAR and Molto Dolce is Creme Brulee, but there's something else about both in the Private Stock versions that's a little different. Not sure if it's Mandella Effect or the illusion I'm opening a tin instead of a baggie, but the Private Stock versions are a little smoother and more refined by a notch. I have all 4 of those that you described. Molto Dolce is smoother than Creme Brulee, smoking them back-to-back, with more emphasis on vanilla to the former. Barbados Plantation tastes a little more fruity and vanilla than QAR which tastes more rum-y to me.