PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
The Virginia seems to be the dominant tobacco in this blend, giving it a somewhat grassy or hay taste. I don't get much from the burley. There doesn't seem to be much added topping or casing. Burns well, but if smoked too fast can get a little ashy tasting toward the end. It reminds me of Half & Half Burley and Bright, only without the added corn taste. This would be a good all day smoke, or maybe when you're not sure what you're in the mood to smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the informative and concise review. This sounds like a blend that might be a sort of Goldilocks blend, just right for certain smokers, if not a crowd pleaser. In general, Sutliff does good work and supplies tobaccos for pricier blends. This review doesn't draw me to put it on my to-order list, but I'd sure sample it at a pipe shop or show. Thank you!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I tried a bowl of this about a year ago from a freshly opened tin. The cube cut enticed me..
The topping made me wretch. I dumped it fearing it would ghost my pipe.

Edit: What I smoked was actual Briggs Mix and not the Sutliff match I assume, so tifwiw.

Reactions: BROBS

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Great review! Where is your homestead, and what do you grow/raise? My wife and I run a small CSA farm, which I call our homestead. We try to supply at least 80% of our own food from it, so it might qualify.

Reactions: edger and Bowie

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Briggs Mixture Sutliff Match is a interesting cut tobacco, some cube cut and a "fish flake" texture a bit similar to Holiday, Bourbon Street, or Ready Rubbed Match. They seem to burn well and be exceptional quality blends for the price payed making them a great value.

But I found this to be one of my least favorites from the Match Blends, although they are all worth trying IMO and Can be had for a cheap price and found some of them to be good enough to buy half a lb for further analysis.

Reactions: edger

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Smoking a bowl of this now. I’ve discovered I like burleys quite a bit and I think this is one to explore further. I get a slight whiff of the topping jiminks mentions but I can’t taste it. I so get plenty or nuttiness and a bit of sweetness from the virginias. Pretty smooth, burns well and cool with very nice smoke output. Quite enjoyable.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Great review! Where is your homestead, and what do you grow/raise? My wife and I run a small CSA farm, which I call our homestead. We try to supply at least 80% of our own food from it, so it might qualify.
Sorry I only now saw your post months later. I'm in southern Missouri. It's not much of a homestead as I've slowed down due to arthritis. I still have honey bees and chickens for eggs. I used to have a decent garden but haven't done that for a couple of years.

Reactions: Magpiety and edger

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Sorry I only now saw your post months later. I'm in southern Missouri. It's not much of a homestead as I've slowed down due to arthritis. I still have honey bees and chickens for eggs. I used to have a decent garden but haven't done that for a couple of years.

I'm in Northeast MO, and I'm sorry to hear that. Eggs and honey can go a long way!

Reactions: homesteader
Status
Not open for further replies.