PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Based on recent reviews posted here, I placed a "Merry Christmas to me" order for a few Sutliff blends, which arrived yesterday. I picked up Maple Street, Molto Dolce and Golden Age, doubling up on Maple Street, as I took a shot that I would really like that one.
Which to open first? Well, the subject line of this post gave it away, after letting the tins adjust back to room temperature for a couple of hours (not sure why I waited, just thought it might be a good idea), I opened the Maple Street. A mild, not overly sweet aroma of maple greeted my nose. Inhaling deeply with the tin only inches away, the sweetness of tobacco and maple were stronger and the light rum mixed in the background, but very light. A big smile crossed my face, anticipating a mild and sweet smoke with one of my favorite flavors, maple. Born and raised in the US, my mother and her family immigrated from Canada. I was raised with an appreciation for real maple syrup and maple candies during the winter. That maple sweet tooth has carried with me through my adult life and still going strong in my late 40s.
I picked up my Cayuga briar (local brand from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint, MI), lighter, tamper, pipe cleaner and settled in my favorite chair to pack the bowl. The first light reinforced the light and sweet note in the tobacco and after a quick tamp the next two lights (I should have let it air dry a bit, but I had waited long enough dang it), I settled in for a wonderful, mild smoke that tasted as great as it smelled.
Like many here, I have tried and suffered through overly topped and cased aros, especially the vanilla blends. Sacrificing taste, for a pleasant room note. I can happily report that Maple Street did not disappoint and will become a regular go to smoke in my rotation. I love the mild, cool smoke, the pleasant and slightly sweet maple flavor and room note. I also think I found a nice match with my relatively new Cayuga.
I would love to hear about your experience with Maple Street.
Cheers - John
PS Next up will be Molto Dolce in my Peterson churchwarden

Status
Not open for further replies.