PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I got three packages in the mail today, two trades, and one my ataldis free sample. I now have a tin of Molto Dolce (also had a small sample of Charlemagne), Tabac Noir, and Maple Street. They all smell wonderful and Tabac Noir was a great smoke. I'm not going to pretend that I am enough of a connoisseur to pick out much in the way of differences between the blends. I can definitely sort out the maple in the maple street, and the honey on Molto Dolce. They all seem to have a pretty hefty aroma of Rum and if the Tabac Noir was any indication, the others should all be good smokes.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I still havent found a sutliff I enjoy, and by enjoy I mean remotely like.... They are so readily available but I cant find one yet...so sad

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@jchaplick : Blend 5 is a pretty good English, I was surprised. I only had one encounter with their aromatics : French Quarter. That one didn't go further than a few puffs past the "true light". But then, there are few aros that I actually enjoy.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Molto Dolce is a good smoke, if you dry it out some and sip it slowly. Not a go to by any stretch, but nice when you're wanting something sweet.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I received a tin of Number 5 also. Do not want to jinx myself,

so i am not saying how many tins I recived from them.

Joe2Shoes

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I got the free sample of No. 5. It is a nice smoke.
I smoke the hell out of their Roma Vita.
Funny thing is that EJames sent me about a half ounce of it once, saying he couldn't stand it. That is what got me started on it.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have smoked of theirs

Molte Dolce

Taste of Summer

Number 5

Top Shelf

Maple Street

Black Swan

and South Seas
Liked them all but Black Swan.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Recieved a tin of their Alexander Bridge yesterday. Nice stuff, a bit on the "bites like an angry wasp" side, but good virginia flavor. Smells a little bit sweetened in the tin, but not a lot of that comes through after you light it up. I like it, but honestly, I'm not sure that it's going to replace anything in my heart.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
Just smoked my first bowl of Molto Dolce about 5 minutes ago and I liked it.It was a good sweet mild smoke.Needs to be dried out a little though.

sailorjohnny

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
I smoke quite a bit of the Sutliff "Kentucky Planter". This is one of my favorite daily smokes.Smooth and rich with a nose that can't be beat in my mind. Goes great paired with a good cup of coffee straight out of storage, no drying required. Notes of oak, wheat, honey, and a warm Indian Summer morning.
I have a tin of their "Black Swan" but frankly it is a bit wet for me, and far too mild. I like the risk of a bit of bite if one smokes too quickly. With Black Swan, one needs bellows to even come close. I also find it lacking in any sense or taste of the rich, heady flavors I normally prefer.It looks like it should be a magnificent smoke, that oily coal black flake, but it never really delivers for me. Of course my wife loves the room on this one, but I think I may end up blending the tin into some cavedish or perhaps letting it age more with some Maker's Mark. Sometimes however, I just want to smoke for the sake of something different, and this bland stuff fits the bill. It successfully reignites my love of other Sutliff products.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've only tried Maple Street and Top Shelf Bourbon. I find them both OK and are affordable in the price department.
FWIW, the Bourbon one has a room note that my wife really likes, she it says it reminds her of the scent you get when you first open the door and enter a pub in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.