Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one that goes under the radar for the most part but is a solid VA.
If you are going to smoke Yorktown, that's great. But, stop talking about it. Only recommend stuff that you won't be disappointed if it runs out. On the really good stuff, play your hand a little closer closer to your chest. puffy

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I’ll be trying some later tonight I left it on a tray at home when I was home on lunch!
I think we have similar tastes in Virginias so I'll be curious as to what you think. I have 3 tins, but i really shouldn't be opening any tins right now.

Reactions: BROBS

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
I thought this for a long time, honestly....
When I finally tried a good Sutliff blend I was pissed at myself I had avoided them for so long. When the original cringle flake was out I thought “yeah, sure, Sutliff”. Now I’m kicking myself that I didn’t get any.
I'm not an aromatic smoker and largely that is what they were known for. I'm struggling with opening one of these times now or waiting until next spring.

Reactions: kg.legat0 and BROBS

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My tins arrived yesterday. I have smoked a couple of bowls so this is very much a first impression. However, it is splendid indeed. I found this to be much more similar to Wessex Brigade original (sometimes called dark and fragrant) than it is to sutliff red virginia crumble kake. I love both of the aforementioned blends. This blend has, for me a much greater essence of apple than the Wessex. The apple is never in the forefront of either blend but I sensed its deeper and very elegant presence more in the sutliff no.1. I have not found nearly as much virginia tang in this blend as exists in crumble kake or Cringle flake. It is there of course but is nowhere near the full on blast of Cringle. This may well have to do with the preparation of the Virginias here. However, this blend has real depth of tobacco flavor, earthy and dark fruit with the apple sort of acting as the Greek chorus behind the scenes. Loved it. Here is the only thing i don't like: you cannot buy this in a 16 ounce bag. That would make it really perfect!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My tins arrived yesterday. I have smoked a couple of bowls so this is very much a first impression. However, it is splendid indeed. I found this to be much more similar to Wessex Brigade original (sometimes called dark and fragrant) than it is to sutliff red virginia crumble kake. I love both of the aforementioned blends. This blend has, for me a much greater essence of apple than the Wessex. The apple is never in the forefront of either blend but I sensed its deeper and very elegant presence more in the sutliff no.1. I have not found nearly as much virginia tang in this blend as exists in crumble kake or Cringle flake. It is there of course but is nowhere near the full on blast of Cringle. This may well have to do with the preparation of the Virginias here. However, this blend has real depth of tobacco flavor, earthy and dark fruit with the apple sort of acting as the Greek chorus behind the scenes. Loved it. Here is the only thing i don't like: you cannot buy this in a 16 ounce bag. That would make it really perfect!
Agree with your assessment on all counts. It’s a nice medium to full VA crumble with an apple flavor that reminds me of tart applesauce or unfiltered apple juice. It works with the tobacco .. sometimes you taste more apple, sometimes more tobacco. End of the smoke remains pleasant and leaves a great apple aftertaste.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Ok just smoked from a good briar. Much more tobacco forward .. it’s also even drier now being crispy. It’s the best smoke this way so far. Delicious !

Sounds like I won't be disappointed with the several tins I gambled on. I coincidentally opened a bottle of Calvados a month or so ago, which should be the ideal pairing

Reactions: mtwaller and BROBS

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
So what is it? More of an aromatic or a straight Virginia?

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
So what is it? More of an aromatic or a straight Virginia?

More of a straight VA for me. I have smoked this for the last few days, and here is what I have come up with. If I smoke it out of a wider, shallower bowl (in this case, a Savenilli 316ks), the apple steps forward a bit but still finishes as an aged Virginia like the one described next. If I smoke it out of a taller, deeper bowl(in this case, Savenelli 614), then I get more of the dark fruit, plum flavors. I would liken it to a tin of aged John Aylesbury Luxury Flake I recently cracked open with 5-6 years of age on it. I am hooked!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Excellent review.

Jan 27, 2020
I managed to ordered a couple tins, wonder if it's at all similar to Boswell's Apple Strudel minus the vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.