PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I had a few burn issues on my first two bowls with constant delights. It originally felt good to go when crumbled up. I just added some extra drying time and got it almost crisp and it smokes great. I feel the apple plays a minor note, it’s noticeable but not overpowering. I like it! I bought quite a few tins that will be cellared for years to come.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I finally had a bowl after getting my tins last week. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't classify this as anything close to an aromatic. I found the apple flavor to be consistent, but very subtle. I was a little worried it was going to have a Jolly Rancher apple flavor, but not at all. It's a very natural taste, and kinda reminds me of a dry hard cider. I was also expecting a lot of the vinegary smell and taste that it's 515RC and Crumble Kake Red Virginia, but that's not there either. The virginias have a lot depth and richness to them, but they aren't particularly strong. It must be a nice mix of different virginias, too, because there's a sweetness that I don't think is from the apple brandy, and plenty of plummy, bready, and earthy flavors. There is a welcome spiciness, not too strong but very nice and satisfying; that spice reminds me a bit of Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon, so maybe that's a component. Taking that all together, it's got a little more oomph than I thought it would. As much as I like it on its own, I'm going to try it sometime with a pinch of turkish ribbon thrown in.

The bottom half of the bowl was great, with a little bit of brown sugar creeping in. Good stuff, and I'm glad I picked up a few tins. I agree with BROBS that this should age very well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I tried my first bowl. To be fair, it probably needs to quit or and settle for a few days, I was underwhelmed. Tasted like sour green apples to me. Want horrible, even a bit pleasant and very cool smoking. Just underwhelming. Unless it gets write a bit better, I won't buy more and will trade what I have (I bought 10 tins).

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I tried my first bowl. To be fair, it probably needs to quit or and settle for a few days, I was underwhelmed. Tasted like sour green apples to me. Want horrible, even a bit pleasant and very cool smoking. Just underwhelming. Unless it gets write a bit better, I won't buy more and will trade what I have (I bought 10 tins).
Try it completely crisp if you didn’t. That was how I found it to be best.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 27, 2020
I'm thankful I only bought three tins, had a handful of bowls so far and found it alternated between bland and harsh. The tin nite I very much enjoyed despite reminding me of Applejack which once gave me the worse hangover ever.

I'm thankful I only bought three tins, had a handful of bowls so far and found it alternated between bland and harsh. The tin nite I very much enjoyed despite reminding me of Applejack which once gave me the worse hangover ever.
Homemade applejack? Jeesh... I've had one drink of it, and it ruined the whole next day for me. And, I didn't even really get drunk. It's like pure methanol. It's literally what gives us the term "apple palsy".

I had a buddy who made some from homemade cider in his freezer. It had an awesome taste, like the sweetest apple brandy, but... it's like drinking pure hangover with every sip.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Interesting. I found it settled down after the tin was open a couple days.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Homemade applejack? Jeesh... I've had one drink of it, and it ruined the whole next day for me. And, I didn't even really get drunk. It's like pure methanol. It's literally what gives us the term "apple palsy".

I had a buddy who made some from homemade cider in his freezer. It had an awesome taste, like the sweetest apple brandy, but... it's like drinking pure hangover with every sip.

Ha, no. Whatever that brand is that's actually the oldest distilled alcohol in the US, use to be made in NY before they moved south. Can't recall the name at the moment not due to having a hangover thankfully.

Jan 27, 2020
Interesting. I found it settled down after the tin was open a couple days.

Well, I only opened the tin yesterday I'll leave it in a spacious jar for a few days and see. Not making a comparison but couldn't get enough of their English crumble kake, smoked the tin I had within a few days of opening it.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Ha, no. Whatever that brand is that's actually the oldest distilled alcohol in the US, use to be made in NY before they moved south. Can't recall the name at the moment not due to having a hangover thankfully.
Laird’s in NJ claims to be the oldest and first licensed distillery in the US. They supplied Applejack to Washington and the troops during the Revolutionary War. I belive it’s still owned by the same family, still making delicious Applejack in Jersey.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Status
Not open for further replies.