PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
This looks good to me too but I’d like to know if it is sufficiently matured or if it’s going to be bitey as hell. They should really tell us the year of the crops in the blend.

Reactions: dbehsman

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I too was intrigued and bought a few tins. Plus, the Dracquer sale had been eating away at me so I got some Traflgar too.

My question now is, Is it different from the Kake, just in Flake form? Either way I haven't tried the Kake or the Flake so I guess it doesn't matter.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would think it'd be in flake form, maybe in the same way the Watch City flakes are? I'll be interested to hear what it's like.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I read from someone who tried it that it was indeed whole leaf pressed flake, not pressed rubbed out like the crumble cakes. It comes as more of broken flake due to Sutliff's cutting equipment. Again, this is second hand, read it on the internet stuff so... grain of salt.

Fooberticus

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2019
Outstanding review. Thanks for sharing. This really does sound like a killer flake. Have you had the Sutliff Red VA Crumble Kake? I'm curious to know how they compare.

I must confess my ignorance, I've never tried Sutliff's Red VA crumble kake or the ribbon cut 515. Reading through tasting notes and reviews of both there are definitely some basic similarities (fruit, bread, vinegar). I think the fruit notes of the Cringle Flake must be far more pronounced, perhaps even enhanced by some toppings. Next time I order some tobacco I'll pick up some of both, because if they're even half as flavorful they must be excellent.

One thing I'm sure of, Cringle Flake started as a flat leaf plug that was sliced into flakes versus a pressed ribbon cut or a crumble cake. And it definitely has some age on it. The tin itself doesn't have a description and there's nothing from Sutliff directly with any information. I'd love to hear from someone at Sutliff to know what went into making this blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've liked various Sutliff blends over the years. I'm aging some of their red Virginia waiting to see how that will be, and comparing it to nothing in particular. As sable' reminds us, many of the more chi-chi brands source their leaf from Sutliff, while the people who buy the premium blends may scorn Sutliff. In this case the old tired cliche actually works: What goes around comes around.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've liked various Sutliff blends over the years. I'm aging some of their red Virginia waiting to see how that will be, and comparing it to nothing in particular. As sable' reminds us, many of the more chi-chi brands source their leaf from Sutliff, while the people who buy the premium blends may scorn Sutliff. In this case the old tired cliche actually works: What goes around comes around.
Their Match Elizabethan/Victorian is my all time favorite Virginia/Perique.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', I think at one point a very similar Sutliff blend, or maybe the same one, was called Westminster, not to be confused with the GLP blend by that name. I liked that one a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.