PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperBert

Lurker
Apr 30, 2022
I’m consistently a proponent of Sutliff blends. My first tobacco purchase was of their Peach Cobbler flavor, which remains a favorite and benchmark to this day. Since then, I’ve had varied but pleasant experiences with their blends. Apple Flavor, however, surprised me. I experienced no flavor whatsoever. The blend was not offensive in any way. No bite, no foul smells or tastes, burns well and stays lit, smoke volume and texture is pleasant. There’s just no flavor. For me, in order to smoke the rest of the bag, I’ll need to use it as filler for other blends. It will make a good mixer, as it won’t subtract or distract from any other flavors, given the only note from it is steam.

Tl,dr: No flavor, good blender, but not a stand alone. Good for practicing smoke rings.

The word "aromatic" refers to the sense of smell. But, to really get the flavor of the smell, you need to really work on your technique. many suggest, and I tend to agree, that aromatics are best smoked once you develop your smoking cadence, which sho9uld be wispy and slow, long sips.

It is unusual for an apple aro to not be bitey. That is definitely good to hear.

It is often said that aromatic smokers tend to smoke for everyone else in the room instead of themselves, because most don't ever tend to develop their smoking to the point of being able to taste them, or start smoking them too soon.

Either stick with that one, and work on your technique till you get it, or maybe try a latakia blend. They tend to be way easier to taste.
YMMV

PiperBert

Lurker
Apr 30, 2022
The word "aromatic" refers to the sense of smell. But, to really get the flavor of the smell, you need to really work on your technique. many suggest, and I tend to agree, that aromatics are best smoked once you develop your smoking cadence, which sho9uld be wispy and slow, long sips.

It is unusual for an apple aro to not be bitey. That is definitely good to hear.

It is often said that aromatic smokers tend to smoke for everyone else in the room instead of themselves, because most don't ever tend to develop their smoking to the point of being able to taste them, or start smoking them too soon.

Either stick with that one, and work on your technique till you get it, or maybe try a latakia blend. They tend to be way easier to taste.
YMMV
For sure, I’ve been falling in love with Balkans and English tobaccos. I couldn’t get much of a room note, nor a tin note. Do you know of any Apple flavored tobaccos that have a stronger flavor or scent?

Reactions: Cap

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I bought a pound of this several years ago. The apple flavor is more of a red apple as opposed to a granny smith. The burley provides a nutty flavor and the cavendish has a sweetness to it. The apple isn't overdone, and has a nice flavor to it. I found it to be an OK blend. Does better with a red virginia added to it. I won't be buying any more...

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Wessex makes an apple blend though I've never tried it.

You can search for apple flavor here
The blend is Wessex Brigade original Fragrant virginia. It is flavored with a bit of cider. Not really an aromatic, more of a virginia with a bit of apple vinegar touch. One of my favorites.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Apple tobacco? Not something I would buy. When I first started reading this thread, I was immediately drawn back to my time in Iraq. I had an interpreter that worked for me. He had a hookah pipe and would invite me over for tea, cookies and a smoke. He had this Apple tobacco and it was kinda bla- smooth no flavor.
The only tobacco I could get in Iraq (my interpreter would buy it for me in town) was Captain Black. After smoking the Apple baccy, the CB seemed wonderful!

PiperBert

Lurker
Apr 30, 2022
Apple tobacco? Not something I would buy. When I first started reading this thread, I was immediately drawn back to my time in Iraq. I had an interpreter that worked for me. He had a hookah pipe and would invite me over for tea, cookies and a smoke. He had this Apple tobacco and it was kinda bla- smooth no flavor.
The only tobacco I could get in Iraq (my interpreter would buy it for me in town) was Captain Black. After smoking the Apple baccy, the CB seemed wonderful!
I have yet to try CB! Also thank you for your service.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
While I tend to struggle smoking anything with notable amounts of PG (aromatic or not) which effectively keeps me out of most of the Sutliff line, the recent sale on Low Country blends at SPC reminded me that they have a Virginia Based aromatic; Santee I believe, which has at least a mild apple essence. Might be worth a try for something with a more pronounced tobacco profile?

PiperBert

Lurker
Apr 30, 2022
While I tend to struggle smoking anything with notable amounts of PG (aromatic or not) which effectively keeps me out of most of the Sutliff line, the recent sale on Low Country blends at SPC reminded me that they have a Virginia Based aromatic; Santee I believe, which has at least a mild apple essence. Might be worth a try for something with a more pronounced tobacco profile?
Sounds interesting… I’ll have to check it out.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
You might enjoy Sutliff's Barrel Aged No 1. It was a limited run, but can be found in the forum's market place from time to time.

"Choice Virginias from three continents are heat pressed then matured for 30 days in an aged apple brandy barrel before being pressed again and sliced into old-fashioned plugs. Each plug is tinned to preserve the blends rich, oaky, and naturally sweet flavors."

iu

Reactions: Egg Shen

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022

Either stick with that one, and work on your technique till you get it, or maybe try a latakia blend. They tend to be way easier to taste of Best Hookah Flavors In 2023.
YMMV
where i can purchase this Sutliff Apple Flavor?

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
You might enjoy Sutliff's Barrel Aged No 1. It was a limited run, but can be found in the forum's market place from time to time.

"Choice Virginias from three continents are heat pressed then matured for 30 days in an aged apple brandy barrel before being pressed again and sliced into old-fashioned plugs. Each plug is tinned to preserve the blends rich, oaky, and naturally sweet flavors."

iu
+1. Crumble Kake No.1 is an excellent blend. After I smoked a few bowls I ordered 10 more tins!

Reactions: Snow Hill