Sutliff: African Queen (and a short-course on diction and grammar)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I purchased African Queen purely by accident.
What I had meant to order was Sutliff's VOODOO QUEEN (a Latakia-light English imbued with Mocha), and because I was in a rush - and trying to get my order in and myself out the door at the same time - I ordered AFRICAN QUEEN by an error of mistaken identity.
Sutliff's African Queen is described as: "...the Burley and Virginia you might expect, there's also some exotic and somewhat spicy Turkish Smyrna." Then product description then continues with: "...a combination of mellow flavors that compliment the tobaccos...".
Please Note: The catalog description uses the spelling for the word: "Compliment" (Note the "i"), which relates in both the noun and verb-tenses solely to: "a polite expression of praise or admiration", or, the act of giving said praise and admiration. This might lead the customer to mistakenly believe that this mixture of tabaks alone produces a praise-worthy tasting smoke as an effect and by-product of the fine balance achieved.
This is not the case.
What the catalog copy-writer should have used was the spelling for the word: "Complement" (Note the "e"), which relates to individual items within a group, where together they form a complete - and sometimes perfected state - because of the addition/inclusion of one, or more, elements to the larger existing group; and thereby enhancing the whole of the thing.
This is the proper word - though one could argue the wholly subjective "State-of-Perfection" achieved by Sutliff's African Queen one way, or the other.
Perhaps you are now vaguely recalling this word: Complement, from your Junior High School Geometry class? Perhaps.
Complement - with an E - is the word which should have been used; and, describes accurately what is going on with this mixture.
Why?
For the simple reason that the "combination of mellow flavors" is, and consists of, whatever the toppings/casings that are ADDED IN ADDITION TO the Burley, Virginia, and Turkish Smyrna blend; and not because of the subtle interplay and gentle balance of the tobaccos alone - And, this is because Sutliff's African Queen is an AROMATIC.
Yes, Sutliff's African Queen is indeed an aromatic.
I do not know what the exact aromatic topping(s) and cased-flavoring(s) are which are added to Sutliff's African Queen, but I can say I was taken for a pretty wild and twisty ride through the various flavor-effects that most Aromatic smokers seek.
I was picking up nuttiness, which would suddenly disappear and then, taste like a complex, yet mellow smoke, which would then change to chocolate or cocoa notes, and then they would disappear; only to be replaced by vanilla notes, and then caramel notes, and I kid you not - notes of something like Marshmallow.
Yes sir, that's what I said: Notes of Marshmallow.
I am not really an aromatic smoker to begin with. Remember, I started my journey on the aromatic African Queen purely by mistake - I was trying to get on the Voodoo Queen (a light English w/ hints of mocha), and I got on the wrong boat.
DOH!
All-in-all, I had a curiously entertaining and serpentine flavor ride on Sutliff's African Queen, with it's mellow, yet quasi-schizophrenic shifting confectionery-flavors; until I got down to the last 1/3rd of the bowl, where things turned a bit harsh on me - for my personal tastes anyway - which I usually experience with topped and cased aromatics, which is why I generally do not smoke topped/cases aromatics, as a rule.
Maybe I am not the best guy in the world to review Sutliff's African Queen - or most other topped/cased aromatics for that matter - as I like purer mixtures, where it is the balance of the tabaks, or only one flavor, like a liqueur, which is infused into the cured tabak, which wholly creates the flavor-effects; and not various poured-on, or sprayed-on toppings and casings.
However, and with that said, would I take a ride on Sutliff's African Queen again?
Sure, why not; especially now that I know - for my pallet - when to get off the ride at the last 1/3rd of the bowl. Braver smokers, please, adventure onward to the finish as you please.
Sutliff's African Queen really has an interesting and different taste and experience than most of tabaks I have tried. So perhaps that alone makes it worthy of at least one exploratory trip through your own pipe at $2.25 for a one ounce sample. - Sherm Natman
african_queen-600x479.jpg

That's alotta information. I've never been keen on dictionaries. I don't like some dead guys in a book telling me how to spell thangs. If you NOW what I am writing, than I have spelled it GOOD. :puffy:
It's been a few years since I have tried Voodoo Queen. It was recommended to me by Jiminks. I remember enjoying it, and I remember enjoying the play of latakia and perique, but I also remember that this was just as I was starting to dislike latakia at that time.
African Queen is one of my favorite movies. It was also one of the first movies that my wife and I watched together when we first started dating. It was playing at an old converted/restored vaudeville theater in downtown. I haven't tried the aromatic African Queen though. Sounds great, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I am not much for aromatics, but when I do, I prefer vanilla aromatics, but only rarely.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Was it irony then that you used the word “pallet” when you should have instead used “palate”? :puffpipe:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I will neither condemn nor defend the copywriter for the word choices made mainly because I don't know the copywriter in person. I chalk-up the problem to several possible problems. 1. The copywriter meant to use the word "complement" but the spell check on the computer decided that "compliment" was the correct word and the copywriter wasn't paying attention to the change. 2. The copywriter doesn't know there is a difference in meaning between the two words. Like colour and color, the first is spelled correctly if you are in one country while the later is correct in the United States. It is possible the copywriter mistakenly thought both spellings meant the same. Or, 3. It was just a poor word choice by a copywriter.
Now for my take on the African Queen tobacco. I have often complained about there being no correlation between the name of a blend and how the blend smells and taste. I tried two bowls of African Queen, and I will say that smoking this does remind me of the aroma of a dilapidated, rotting old wooden hull abandoned in the backwaters of a slow-moving, mosquito infested river. If I ever wanted to smoke something again that reminded me of jungle rot, this would be the blend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I compliment you for your complete and succinct review of a tobacco that doesn't complement its name.
Now for my take on the African Queen tobacco. I have often complained about there being no correlation between the name of a blend and how the blend smells and taste. I tried two bowls of African Queen, and I will say that smoking this does remind me of the aroma of a dilapidated, rotting old wooden hull abandoned in the backwaters of a slow-moving, mosquito infested river. If I ever wanted to smoke something again that reminded me of jungle rot, this would be the blend.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
uncleblackie - No, it was not irony; it was 4am.
pappymac - I read were many people felt the same way you did about Sutliff's African Queen, fortunately I found it more "interesting" then objectionable; yet, I feel no pressing need for a return voyage.
- Sherm Natman

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Was it irony then that you used the word “pallet” when you should have instead used “palate”?
I think we may safely hold a professional marketing endeavor to a much higher standard of copy editing than a forum post.

I have often complained about there being no correlation between the name of a blend and how the blend smells and taste.

Being a LOTR fans... I HATE it when blends that use the names from the books. Take a cherry aromatic that no one would ever give a second glance to, and give it a LOTR name, like ":Hobbit's Weed," and grown assed men will line up to give it a try, and rave about how it takes them to the shire. Blech, PUKE, bullspit!!! Put that name on any flavor, non-flavor, pure latakia, and complete morons will lose their minds over it because of it's name. Even though there isn't even an inkling of a hint of cherries mentioned in the book. The whole lot of them named blends... irks me. :puffy:
I have always suggested to people who were complaining back when Hobbits Weed became scarce, for them to make some Hobbit's Weed stickers and just stick it on a blend that they already like. That would be much better than forcing yourself to like an aromatic that you otherwise wouldn't be caught dead smoking. :puffy:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Cosmic - It is a strong point you are making about the power of marketing as it relates to naming a tabak mixture for the mass-market - and let us not forget the power of the graphics and lettering of the tin/pouch art on the potential consumer's mind when making their buying decision. Just as one should not "judge a book by it's cover.", one should also not judge the desirability to try a mixture by it's name and tin art alone - and yet, so often we do; even though we might know better.
Choosing to purposefully fight falling victim to that conditioned psychological response to Madison Avenue-type marketing techniques is what lead me to try three tabaks which come packaged in very generic pouches and sport generic names, all of which I enjoy immensely; being: Five Brothers: Tobacco!, Super-Value Bourbon Whiskey, and Super-Value English Mixture.
The other saying which comes to mind is: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating.". So for us Pipers, I guess we could say: "The desirability of the tabak is in the smoking." - Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Forums members are wise not to correct each other's posts. We're a vastly mixed lot of folks and have all different writing styles and skills, and if we don't get the message, we ask questions usually. However, I will say there is a crisis in editing in publications, from books to newspapers to magazines to street signs. Many newspapers try to save salaries by eliminating the copy editors and the result is a crisis. People learn standard English mostly through reading. People who can't read often have odd pronunciations or replace one word with another from mis-hearing. And I know firsthand, many a M.D. or Ph.D. does not know the meaning of a word like, say, schizophrenia, and will use it to mean of two minds, or alluding to split personality, neither of which is remotely correct. So up and down the scale of scholarship, experience, English or any other language as a first language, the crucial conduit of language as an information channel is in deep and dangerous trouble. As Sir Winston Churchill said, "Better talk-talk than war-war." And this was a man who also said, "Nothing is so satisfying as being shot at and missed."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso489 - I totally agree with your last post in that computer software has replaced the need for experienced copy editors. Software is only as good as the person doing the programming and is not always accurate when it comes to identifying word choices. It seems to often select a word more often used than any alternative words.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Pappymac - Quite correct; and the situation is even worse with the talk/text editor on the iPhone. Not only is it's lexicon severely limited in scope, but some of words which they did bother to include can be mind boggling when compared to the words they chose to leave out.
Mso489 - Also quite correct Tom. The more accurate term for me to have used in describing the shifting flavor qualities of Sutliff's African Queen would have been for me to have drawn a parallelism to Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID); which sounds even more humorous when applied to a how a pipe tabak presents itself upon smoking. However, as most people do not have a DSM as a desk-reference, I think most folks simply do just as you said, and they commonly use the inaccurate term; which most folks also misunderstand in the same way as the one who employs it. So, in that case, oddly enough, two wrongs end up making a perceived right. LOL! - Sherm Natman

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Oh yeah, if you do get a chance... Voodoo Queen is fantastic. Tried it on a whim and took me by complete surprise. Firmly in rotation now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was always amazed that scientists didn't call each other on serious misuse of words since they are ready to jump down each other's throats on every bit of data and procedural question. Sloppy language? No peer review at all. So I supposed they wouldn't know what I was talking about if I brought it to their attention, or they'd think I was some kind of exhibitionist. Ignorance among the learned is hard to point out.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Pappymac - Quite correct; and the situation is even worse with the talk/text editor on the iPhone. Not only is it's lexicon severely limited in scope, but some of words which they did bother to include can be mind boggling when compared to the words they chose to leave out.
"its"
(I kid, I kid!)

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Idk Cosmic, as of late I've met a few fine vending machines that aggressively suck in anything you put near them like a hungry rat and also like a rat spit nothing out.

As for the English lesson, I've given up on such pursuits. Aside from being perceived as arrogant and condescending by the ignorant, the accuracy of written word has very little to no place in modern society outside graduate school and mb some undergrads. For better or worse. Email and Texting has only led to further degradation.

As for the blend of the thread, I had high hopes for the African queen. But it quickly became an infidel of a blend when its being out of stock held up an entire order for a week w no notification. When I finaly found out I had them remove it so the order would ship. This place wont ship orders in parts. Only to get the order and find it included after I was credited snd was suposedly out of stock. So fine, glad to have it error or not. trying to smoke it presented a new problem, heavily soaked in pg as other Sutliff offerings yet moreso would not dry left out for days or even nuked. Smoking it was quite possibly the worst tobacco experience of my life. Bit like hellfire and tasted like straight up poopoo. I considered destroying the rest of the ounce violently but instead for the first and last time ever threw out tobacco. I would sooner smoke Capt back grape mixed w mixrure 79 and deertongue b4 trying Sutliffs African Queen again.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I tried two bowls of African Queen, and I will say that smoking this does remind me of the aroma of a dilapidated, rotting old wooden hull abandoned in the backwaters of a slow-moving, mosquito infested river. If I ever wanted to smoke something again that reminded me of jungle rot, this would be the blend.
That has to be favourite tobacco review!

Status
Not open for further replies.