PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Recently I smoked some Sutliff 515-RC that I purchased in 2019. Two years ago I tried it and it was alright, but not exceptional. I was late to the game regarding McClelland, and I hate that. I was smoking aromatics, and even took a couple of breaks from pipe smoking. Near the end of McClelland's run, I discovered their 5100 Red Cake, and really liked it. When I went back to my tobacconist in 2019 to replenish my stock, I was informed McClelland had gone out of business.

Research showed a lot of recommendations for Sutliff 515-RC. I tried it fresh, and it wasn't a very good substitute. Two years later, however, I find that it has improved greatly with a little age. Now it does remind me an awful lot of that McClelland tobacco that I discovered too late.

Looking at Tobacco Reviews, the two have similar ratings: McClelland 5100 has a 3.4 and Sutliff 515-RC has a 3.3.

There are many who have much more experience with McClelland blends than I, and I'm hardly the first to make this recommendation, but if you're looking for a replacement for McClelland 5100, or you just like good red Virginias, buy a pound of Sutliff 515-RC and let it age. You won't be disappointed.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I found aging 515-RC improved my enjoyment of the blend. When it’s young I tend to over puff my pipe because that sweetness is so enjoyable I don’t realize my tongue is sizzling. I did the same with 5100 when I first started smoking it. With age I get less bite and can smoke a few bowls in a row without any issues. I’m thankful to have discovered it because of so many people recommending it on this forum throughput the years.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
515 is some good stuff. The first batch I got was really vinegar-y ...despite that, it tastes great in the pipe. I got another half pound a couple months ago, less vinegar and also tastes great. The first batch is about a year old now, really tamed down a bit in the jar.

On the 'to do' list is to mix up some 515 and 507-S ...I feel like I have seen this blend mentioned before -it makes a lot of sense after smoking both alone for a good while now.

Oct 7, 2016
I smoke a lot of 515 RC 1 and 507 S mixed 50/50. Present stash came from the initial shipments, as I recall without getting up to look, 2018. I have 5100 and 5105 on hand as well, and more often than not smoke them mixed 50/50.

Both are fine on their own, both are better aged, but 515 RC benefits more obviously from age. Both need overnight dry time IMO.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
My latest shipment of tobacco recently came in. It included the Sutliff 507-S Stoved Black Virginia. I mixed it evenly with some of the aged 515-RC and it is pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll mix up a batch and jar it. It should be quite good after letting the flavors marry.

Mar 1, 2014
I'd bet most of the people who say they don't like 515 RC-1 are trying to hoard it.
Even at only 25% RC-1 Red VA in my home made Half and Half blend jarred a month ago the vinegar smell is still quite pronounced.

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
I'm sitting on a few pounds of the 515RC1 and the 507S. I like them better together (half and half or even 2:1) and enjoy them fresh as well as with a year or two age on them. The bite definitely drops a bit with age, but all good either way. :)

Reactions: dcon