PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I have a local B&M that has a house blend called “Aromatic English,” and it’s one of the most pleasing aromatics I’ve ever smoked. I was assuming it was a repackaged Sutliff, as two of the B&M aromatic offerings are “Aromatic English” and “Sweet Virginia”, and Sutliff offers two bulk blends by the exact same name. It turns out that this was not the blend from my local B&M, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
Tin Note, Preparation:

As soon as I opened this, I knew it wasn’t the blend I’d picked up at my local B&M. This blend actually had latakia, while the one at my B&M, though a nice aromatic, did not live up to its name on the "English" front.
Anyway, this has a beautiful tin note that’s sweet, but the exact flavor is hard to put my finger on. Perhaps some vanilla, chocolate, and a slight fruity note there, with smoky latakia on top.
Smoke:

A brief rabbit trail:

I remember when I first smelled latakia, it was in Frog Morton’s Cellar. I had ordered FMC because I wanted to try English blends, and heard it was a crossover English / aromatic. I was horrified at the tin note: it smelled like tangy barbecue sauce to me, which (at the time) was not something I’d like to smoke. I’ve since developed a liking for FMC and a number of traditional English blends, but I still wondered if there were blends out there that were like what I anticipated when I looked for a hybrid English-aromatic.
This Sutliff Aromatic English much more what I was looking for back in the day. It reminds me of the aromatics that initially drew me to pipe smoking—1-Q, BCA, RLP-6, etc.—but blends this well with the smoky latakia. The Burley and Cavendish blend quite nicely with the latakia for a cohesive smoke—although this does taste a tad like someone added some latakia to RLP-6, it’s not a disjointed flavor; the various components are unified and work well for my palate.
It burns fairly well; I might let it dry a tad next time.
Nicotine:

I didn't notice any nicotine from this blend.
In Summary:

This is a quite pleasant little offering that would be a nice “beginner’s English,” but also fulfills my interest in a blend that combines smoky latakia with a nice aromatic sweetness. I'd recommend this for aromatic lovers who'd like to venture into latakia territory, or anyone interested in a latakia blend with a sweet side to it.

kansasjase

Lurker
Aug 1, 2016
Eastern Kansas
Thanks for this review. I received a tin of Sutliff Academy last year and loved it, but unfortunately it's no longer available. I emailed to folks at Sutliff and they told me 504C would be a good substitute. I've been debating on buying it. There are so many blends to try that I have hard time pulling the trigger.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I have been smoking this blend lately as well. To me this blend is very light, just a touch of latakia and the flavoring is the same vanilla they use for the Vanilla Custard blend but it is very faint. I'll have to smoke some more of it but I wish it had just a little more latakia...
By the way Beasty, thanks for taking the time to do these reviews, they are always a good read.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Your review piqued my interest in 504, Thanks!
Lane HGL may be what your B&M is selling. Whenever I encounter a bulk "Aromatic English" or "Sweet English" at a B&M, HGL is usually what they're selling.
If you like this genre, try these.
4noggins - Bald Headed Teacher (Well loved)

Two Friends - English Chocolate (The choc and lat are good together)

Sutliff - Edward G. Robinson (Thanks to Jiminks for this being around)

C&D's - Captain Bob's Blend (In a class all its own)

McClelland - TGL (One of my favorites, don't understand the low reviews)

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions! I do like the genre. I had considered HGL as a possibility, but figured the shared names was the tip off. (Haven't actually tried HGL, just read the description and reviews.)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
If I remember right,I believe puffy and ravkesef are also fans of HGL along with myself (the only blend I ever bought 5 pounds of)...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
E. Hoffman's Distinguished Gentleman is another in the cross-over category. A very nice blend with a dash of rum topping. The latakia is not overwhelming to me. Just a nice relaxing smoke.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Yeah, I can really only detect nicotine from a handful of blends--for me the majority fall into the "no nicotine detected category."
I tend to review on a curve: when I say a blend is "medium" I mean I can detect the ever-so-slightest presence of nicotine there, but often only occasionally--not on every bowl. For me, Dunhill Nightcap falls into this category, though I know for some it's a nicotine bomb. For me, "strong" doesn't turn me green (not these days anyway), but rather just relaxes.
Most of my favorites are N-heavy--the various Gawith ropes and shags are at the top of my list. I detect a similar amount of nicotine from C&D and Daughters & Ryan Burley-heavy offerings, but they aren't as much to my liking, though quite tasty in their own right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think PC Home and Hearth Midtown Chestnut also fills this profile. It is a sort of match to the discontinued long-time blend Walnut. Russ blended this.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
when I say a blend is "medium" I mean I can detect the ever-so-slightest presence of nicotine there, but often only occasionally--not on every bowl. For me, Dunhill Nightcap falls into this category, though I know for some it's a nicotine bomb.
Idk why it got that rep. Sure it's got more than EMP but not even close to Royal Yacht. That stuff would be like putting half a dozen unfiltered Lucky's in your mouth and deep-dragging them all at once.
Most of my favorites are N-heavy--the various Gawith ropes and shags are at the top of my list.
I'd been thinking about trying some Black XX and/or Brown #4 just for the nic, but the reviews of them indicate they taste pretty strong too and not "pipey". If I want to smoke a cigar, I'll smoke one. Same with 5 Brothers, I'd rather just suck down a fat double-maduro than smoke horrid pipe tobacco just because it's got a crap ton of nicotene.

Status
Not open for further replies.